BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apparently have a clutch delay vallve (CDV) installed on my 05 M3

I've heard some talk about it, and some say it takes away the small delay when shifting. I've heard good and bad about it..

Is this a fix worth doing? Has anyone done this and is it worth the trouble, or should I just leave it as is..

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
765 Posts
It does cause a few issues (i.e. bucking bronco syndrome), but thats usually from people who aren't used to the car yet. When I first got my M3, it used to do the bucking bronco all the time... once I got used to it, its like once in a blue moon or less that it happens.

·
Registered
10 Posts
it takes 5 minutes to remove the cdv. The garage where i always go do alot of bmw and take it off in 5 minutes, for my car, it wasnt necessary to bleed the clutch and the mechanic removed the cdv and just screw the clutch line togheter

no need to buy something to do this mod.... do it

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
IMO the CDV is only beneficial to those who don't really know how to drive stick properly. If you rev match your downshifts and refrain from dumping the clutch, then you may as well remove the CDV and enjoy the improved clutch feel. All the CDV does is make it impossible to dump the clutch to prevent shock to the drivetrain (while sacrificing some clutch life though)

·
Registered
89 Posts
it takes 5 minutes to remove the cdv. The garage where i always go do alot of bmw and take it off in 5 minutes, for my car, it wasnt necessary to bleed the clutch and the mechanic removed the cdv and just screw the clutch line togheter

no need to buy something to do this mod.... do it
surprising it didnt need the clutch bled. i am planning on doing this asap

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,711 Posts
surprising it didnt need the clutch bled. i am planning on doing this asap
I can think of no reason it would not have. The line was open.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,711 Posts
I removed my CDV. I really don't see why they put these on such a performance car. I see no positives to keep it in compared to the reason to remove.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I removed my CDV. I really don't see why they put these on such a performance car. I see no positives to keep it in compared to the reason to remove.

BMW installed it to reduce shock from the drivetrain being transmitted to the subframe mounts. As you probably know - subframe mounts on this car are subject to cracks.

·
Registered
317 Posts
My friend recently got an M3 that had the CDV still on (mine does not). He asked to drive mine to see if it was worth him removing it on his, and within 30 seconds he had made up his mind and went ahead and did it. I have never driven an M3 with the CDV, so I don't have a reverse point-of-view.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,711 Posts
BMW installed it to reduce shock from the drivetrain being transmitted to the subframe mounts. As you probably know - subframe mounts on this car are subject to cracks.
Yes I know the theory behind why bmw engineers made the CDVs. I just mean on such a performance car you'd think they would have left them off. There are plenty of cars with the CDV that have had the cracked subframe mounts. So this was never a fix for that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts