BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from performance upgrade clutches, would the e46 market be interested in a non-self adjust clutch? It looks like one could buy a new LuK clutch for about $250.00. If the non-self adjust was sourced from OE suppliers, with assured quality, would that be of interest?

Have your experiences with the SAC been ok? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
The SAC mechanism in my factory installed clutch was a pain. I've had no problems whatsoever with my stock replacement clutch though. As I understand it, BMW updated the design some years ago replacing a nylon part within the mechanism with a steel part. At this point, I wouldn't worry or think twice about installing another new SAC. My 2 cents, FWIW.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The SAC mechanism in my factory installed clutch was a pain. I've had no problems whatsoever with my stock replacement clutch though. As I understand it, BMW updated the design some years ago replacing a nylon part within the mechanism with a steel part. At this point, I wouldn't worry or think twice about installing another new SAC. My 2 cents, FWIW.
Thanks for the info. Did you do the job yourself?

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Thanks for the info. Did you do the job yourself?
No... and I was very fortunate that I didn't tackle this particular job myself as it turned into quite the nightmare. I was originally going to have a ClutchMasters clutch installed in order to, you guessed it, get rid of the darn SAC mechanism. It never would fully disengange and also had balance issues so after my shop had dropped the transmission 3 times (maybe 4, I forget now) trying to resolve these issues with support from CM, we gave up and just put a new stock clutch back in. Haven't had any problems since. If I had known about the improved SAC mechanism, I probably wouldn't have bothered with the CM.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
did Clutch masters warranty it?
I guess you could say that. The first pressure plate had balance issues. They replaced it under warranty. After trying different TO bearings and shipping them the entire transmission and clutch to try to figure out what was going on, they still could never make it disengage properly. Their clutch was eventually returned in exchange for a new stock clutch. I paid for the parts that actually ended up on the car and the labor for a single clutch install - the rest was between my shop and CM. I have a thread around here somewhere if you want to know more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I guess you could say that. The first pressure plate had balance issues. They replaced it under warranty. After trying different TO bearings and shipping them the entire transmission and clutch to try to figure out what was going on, they still could never make it disengage properly. Their clutch was eventually returned in exchange for a new stock clutch. I paid for the parts that actually ended up on the car and the labor for a single clutch install - the rest was between my shop and CM. I have a thread around here somewhere if you want to know more.
What thread is that?

My problem is that i have no warranty, and the sac system is no option for me...

What can i do? I want a non self-adjustment system on my 320d 136cv... Does this exists for my car?

·
Registered
10 Posts
We never got the 320d in the US so I don't know anything about aftermarket parts availability for that model.
yes i know but perhaps by the clutch model you can tell me, because it equips several models than 320d.

My chutch is Clutch N42 D=228MM Fits on models:

E46
  1. 318I N42 year -09/03
  2. 318TI N42 year -09/03
  3. 320D M47 (136HP) year -09/01

Extra info:

the clutch Clutch Kit is:

Model:

3 Series (E46) 320d
Year range:

04/98-09/01
Extra info:

Kit (RepSet)
Plate Dia: (mm)

Eng Code:

M47D20
Splines:

Fitting Time:

Notes

Self-Adjusting Clutch (SAC)

The dual mass flywheel is:

Model:

3 Series (E46) 320d
Year range:

04/98-09/01
Extra info:

Dual Mass Flywheel
Plate Dia: (mm)

M47D20
Eng Code:

·
Registered
76 Posts
send a private message to paraklas. he has a 320 (in Greece?) and i remember him in some clutch discussions I was browsing a while ago. maybe he can help.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
No... and I was very fortunate that I didn't tackle this particular job myself as it turned into quite the nightmare. I was originally going to have a ClutchMasters clutch installed in order to, you guessed it, get rid of the darn SAC mechanism. It never would fully disengange and also had balance issues so after my shop had dropped the transmission 3 times (maybe 4, I forget now) trying to resolve these issues with support from CM, we gave up and just put a new stock clutch back in. Haven't had any problems since. If I had known about the improved SAC mechanism, I probably wouldn't have bothered with the CM.
Interesting. I definitely don't have those issues with my CM kit. I've got a wicked vibration, but that's from the M3 motor mounts and was there before I had the clutch installed.

Which CM setup did you use?

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Interesting. I definitely don't have those issues with my CM kit. I've got a wicked vibration, but that's from the M3 motor mounts and was there before I had the clutch installed.

Which CM setup did you use?
Search for my clutch thread for details on my experience with CM, I'm not going to repeat everything here.

Your "wicked vibration" has nothing to do with the M3 motor mounts (unless they are overdue for replacement). The M3 mounts aren't really that much stiffer than non-M mounts. I'm running BimmerWorld solid rubber motor mounts which are significantly stiffer than even the M3 mounts with only minimal vibration over stock. Given your excessive vibration issue, you might want to check up on your harmonic balancer (crank damper) as this is critical to keeping crankshaft vibrations in check and an often overlooked maintenance item. Another possibility would be a problem with your dual mass flywheel as this addresses crank vibrations from the other end of the crank. Was your flywheel replaced at the same time as your clutch? Presumably your engine is in decent health but, if not, a rough running engine could also be to blame.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Search for my clutch thread for details on my experience with CM, I'm not going to repeat everything here.
If you're too lazy to even link, I'm too lazy to read.

The vibrations are indeed mount related, and you can feel it around 900-1200 RPM. Beyond that (in either direction) it's not noticeable. Did I mention it's mount related? It presented itself right after I installed the mounts, so.

I've got a Clutchmasters Stage 1 kit w/ steel flywheel, so, yes, new flywheel. This was installed /after/ the mounts. The clutch was replaced because the old flywheel had failed. Aside from high pedal effort, I rather like the setup.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
:rolleyes:

You think I give a rat's arse?

The vibrations are indeed mount related, and you can feel it around 900-1200 RPM. Beyond that (in either direction) it's not noticeable. Did I mention it's mount related? It presented itself right after I installed the mounts, so.
The mounts might have emphasized the vibration but it's absolutely positively not normal for you to have "wicked vibration" with the M3 mounts. Period. It's your car, if you're content to live with it then I don't give a rat's arse.

Did I mention that I don't give a rat's arse?

·
Registered
10 Posts

I've got a Clutchmasters Stage 1 kit w/ steel flywheel, so, yes, new flywheel. This was installed /after/ the mounts. The clutch was replaced because the old flywheel had failed. Aside from high pedal effort, I rather like the setup.
Bro, i think that is 240MM for 150hp, mine is 228MM for 136hp 320d 98/01 Car...

Im i correct?

Do you know any for me?

i got to take the sac out...

Clutchmasters Stage 1 kit w/ steel flywheel for my model?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts