E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I changed my control arm bushing to OEM ones from pelican parts. torqued the two bolts to 45 ftlb, put the shield cover back, and hoping the clunking go away. But after some test drive, the car still clunks when running over some rough surface, or a small bump, with some speed (around 20-30, or higher)
car is quiet if road is smooth, no matter what speed.
what might be the reason then? Got my first E46 for just one week, and have no idea. did google search on clunking but mostly are the bad bushing, some others I found are different symptoms.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Wow that's in pretty bad shape! No doubt Mango will pop in here with info on strut failure... but basically at this stage there are a few maintenance items you should be looking at. Let me find the thread for you...

Here you go:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=923563

For the clunking noise, I would start with checking the following:
sway bar end links, ball joints, steering coupling, tie rods, struts...

Eliminate the above for wear / breakage due to mileage and age and go from there.

Do you get any shaking in the steering at speed or feedback in the steering when the clunking happens?

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I'm having the same issue after installing my FK coils last week. I had to reuse the old shock mounts, and a lot of people have suggested that might be the issue. So we'll see after I replace them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow that's in pretty bad shape! No doubt Mango will pop in here... but basically at this stage there are a few maintenance items you should be looking at. Let me find the thread for you...
yeah, I just reaplced control arm bushing, ordered the parts and going to change the belts, pulleys, water pump, thermostat, and replace the coolant.

just changed oil and cabin air filter, and fuel pump. also plan to do power steering fluid.

not sure if the struts need to be replaced urgently. ..
that part is pricy..

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
hueyhy - ^ cool. Looks like you're on the right track already... maintenance before mods :D A few people have suggested BMAparts so I will do the same as I was browsing their site and found pricing for shocks and struts to be very good, so you may not have to spend as much as you think.

Hye - good point, it could be the shock mounts.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow that's in pretty bad shape! No doubt Mango will pop in here with info on strut failure... but basically at this stage there are a few maintenance items you should be looking at. Let me find the thread for you...

Here you go:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=923563

For the clunking noise, I would start with checking the following:
sway bar end links, ball joints, steering coupling, tie rods, struts...

Eliminate the above for wear / breakage due to mileage and age and go from there.

Do you get any shaking in the steering at speed or feedback in the steering when the clunking happens?
no feedback in steering when clunking, nor shaking in steering at speed. ( i guess that is about ball joints?)

I will check the pieces you mentioned. I hope it is not the the ball joints otherwise i need to redo the control arm bushing work again.(to replace the control arm and ball joints)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.