E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Addicted to Torque!
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I washed my car 2 days ago and left her in the garage. This morning I went to start her and drive to work, I heard a loud THUMP! when I put the EBRAKE down. Then I put the car in reverse and heard a little thump when the car started moving. This happens when my car sits for a day or so and usually after I wash my car.:banghead:
(It kind of sounds like when you jack your car up and then put the ebrake down!)

Anyone have any advice on what this can be? :dunno:

thanks
Justin :thumbup:

·
Registered
828 Posts
the same **** happened to me just yesterday..except the e brake part but i heard some clunking noise when i put the car in rervse and made a right turn.

·
Addicted to Torque!
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you leave your car sitting for a day or so? Did you wash your car? Do u have any suspension mods?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Sounds like the rotors are rusting to the pads. There is nothing you can really do a bout it. THat pop you hear or clunk is the rusted rotor detaching itself from the pad. It happened to me yesturday, except my car was standing still for 2 weeks. Especially right after a wash, if it sat for a little while.

·
Addicted to Torque!
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok...I understand it then. Yea...rotors turn to rust if you dont drive the car after a wash. My car goes straight to the garage after the wash and sits till the next day. SO I assume this is normal and isnt causing any problems besides 1 clunking noise?

·
Addicted to Torque!
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. Problemo solved. GOOD WORK! Thanks!

·
Registered
874 Posts
the pads rusting on the rotors is a scary sound huh?

On my old CRX hybrid it was way worse...I'd have to rock the car back and forth to get them to unstick...and the noise was loud! :)

Don't worry about it!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sorry guys - its definately not the rotors sticking to the pads. I left my car in the garage for 3weeks and When I came back the rear 'brakes' were stuck solid. I removed both wheels and freed the pads. The back wheels would still not turn!

Haven't fugured it out yet, but there must be something else that locks the wheels when the parking brake is on!

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
That's Mina...a Korean World CUP soccer fan who got popular after photographers took pics of her. She's now a singer/actress

·
Registered
159 Posts
Grunty-Motor said:
Sorry guys - its definately not the rotors sticking to the pads. I left my car in the garage for 3weeks and When I came back the rear 'brakes' were stuck solid. I removed both wheels and freed the pads. The back wheels would still not turn!

Haven't fugured it out yet, but there must be something else that locks the wheels when the parking brake is on!
The parking brake does not use the Rear Discs to hold the car. There is actually a seperate brake system for the Emergency Brake. I believe you have to remove the rear tires and then remove the Calipers and Rotors to get to the actual Parking Brake.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That fits - but I had a good look behind there when the wheels were off, but could see nothing.

Anyone got a diagram? - it freed itself more out of luck than judgement last time.

Oh, one more point - I started leaving the brake off, and still I get the occasional clunk when I move away!!! Hows that then?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts