BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I have a 2001 330i sport with a 5 speed. It has 99K miles. recenlty I have noticed a slight to moderate "clunk" when I lift off the throttle. The sound appears to come from the rear of the car, and there is no vibraion in the shifter when this occurs. Sometimes it is very slight, and sometimes more prominent. Sometimes it does not do it at all. I have not started to look into it yet. Does anyone have a recomendaiton of where to look first?

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
diff bushings or rear subframe bushings.

could also be a guibo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. The largest consensus is for the differential bushings. Can anyone tell me how to inspect for this or do I need to pull the diff and replace the bushings?

I believe that everything else is visually inspectable? However, anyone has any instructions on how to do this or what to look for, I would appreciate that

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lastly, will any of these issues leave me stranded without warning or cause significant damage if not immediately corrected?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Thanks guys. The largest consensus is for the differential bushings. Can anyone tell me how to inspect for this or do I need to pull the diff and replace the bushings?

I believe that everything else is visually inspectable? However, anyone has any instructions on how to do this or what to look for, I would appreciate that
I was getting a downshift thump occasionally. On mine this is how the big one looked from the diff side. Once I took it out and laid it on its side a pool of oil formed around it. The two in front seemed fine.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts