BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man where do I begin? About a week ago I fixed a clunk I had in my steering... or so I had thought? One of my lower strut bolts had came loose... after tightening everything back up to spec, all seemed well. The next day I replaced the universal steering coupler to tighten up the steering... still no sign of the noise returning... Now a week later I tilted my steering wheel while the car was moving and now the clunk has returned... I have no clue what could have been changed by just adjusting the wheel position... Any ideas? I'm stumped. :hmm:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to elaborate a little more the clunk seems to happen when I turn the opposite way in which I last turned the wheel. For example if I turn left, it clunks, then turn the wheel to the left again it seems okay, then when I turn right it clunks again.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And now after some hard cornering (everything feels tight, no slop in the wheel or play of any sort) it seems to have gone away.... Worried it may come back. I plan on taking a look at it tomorrow but anyone have any suggestions I could look for? This is strange.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah but that's a much more quiet noise than what I experienced.... Mine was a lot louder and happened usually when I would turn the wheel past half a turn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts