E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I have seen this mentioned a couple of times and don't know what it is or what it does. How can I install it, where can I get it from, How much, and which is the best. Thanx

·
Registered
76 Posts
im thinking of getting uuc clutch stop too,i wanna know some more info for those ppl who have it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
so it reduces clutch travel... does this provide any significant improvement to the ride??? I've had my car for about 3 months now and have learned the clutch alright. I'm still not "perfect" with it yet, but I'm much closer than I was 2 months ago. Will the clutch stop help with ride "bounciness?"

·
Registered
33 Posts
Check out www.bmw330ci.com and they have directions to make a stop. It's just a bolt with a rubber cap glued on. The problem with the E46's is the clutch start cut-out switch. If you make the stop too long, your car won't start. I actually made two and still have a spare, but it is too long to start the car.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I believe the "bounciness" is something that's controlled strictly by the driver. The clutch stop just reduces the distance that the clutch travels; it doesn't change the point at which the clutch engages at all. So, it seems you should give it some time so you can improve your technique. However, I suppose it can't be completely ruled out that the clutch stop might help you.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Bought the clutch stop from ///TechnoVylet. Had to saw off about 4 threads off the bolt, to get it low enough so car would start. It Shortened clutch travel about 1". Looks oem, once I glued rubber cap from original piece on. A great little, must-do mod!

Thanks to E46fanatics for all the info, and Will for clutch stop! :thumbup:

·
Is NOT A Mechanic
5,501 Posts
Diy - home depot - 10mm dia. (1.5 threads) x 40 mm, 3 washers, one nut, and one rubber door stop - total parts under $2 - install time - 3 minutes - including construction.

Improved ride? A lot better if you're inexperienced with a manual. As a seasoned driver, it reduces fatigue in stop and go traffic - cut my clutch travel by about 1 1/2".

No pics right now - installed it in the dark Home Depot parking lot!

·
Registered
451 Posts
I don't think I have the OEM clutch stop to rip the rubber off. I suppose a door stop will work. How did you get one to stay on the other? Also, does the clutch actually come in contact with the clutch stop or does it just depress a mechanism behind the foot well?

Home Depot decided to install that stupid grocery DIY check out counter. MistAAAAAAke. How exactly are you supposed to keep dry wall IN the bag ON the counter and then slide your credit card in. It's great for small items, but when the general contractor in front of you decides it's a good idea to send all his equipment through there....oh good lord.

We need a spell checker on this board ;-)

·
Is NOT A Mechanic
5,501 Posts
Jeremy -

I cut a hole through the door stop - if you go to the depot, it's the white rubber one that looks like a little cup...

I ran the bolt through the stopper, so the head is concealed inside the 'cup' portion of the stopper. Put the washers on the backside of the stopper, thread the nut to clamp the whole thing in place - no glue needed. Thread the bolt into the existing hole, tighten till it hits the nut - that is the right spot (in my car, at least). Adjust the throw by adding/subtracting washers.

The clutch arm hits the rubber stopper about 1 1/2" from the floor.

Which depot in Jersey has the diy checkout?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Thanks for the help. I actually just forked out $8 (decent) from ///TechnoTyvet for the stop. No biggie. Still better than the UUC unit.

East Hanover on Route 10. What a clusterf*ck that place is.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts

$.27 cents at Home Depot, well worth it. Or get Techno's for a whole kit.

Chip-

·
Is NOT A Mechanic
5,501 Posts
good luck - I'm sure it'll work great.

I'll post pics of my diy soon.

I'll also stay away from the Hanover depot...

Perhaps we should plan a meet up at JR Cigar - the Spring Cigar Car show... hmmm...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Send me a PM when you want to meet up. I'm always down to chill with other bimmer modders.

alken said:
good luck - I'm sure it'll work great.

I'll post pics of my diy soon.

I'll also stay away from the Hanover depot...

Perhaps we should plan a meet up at JR Cigar - the Spring Cigar Car show... hmmm...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Here is a great thread with pictures on clutch stops including DIY ones. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24000&highlight=clutch
I did it and my gear shifts are noticeably smoother and more consistant. It is a great mod! I did disengage the cutoff switch for clutch travel so my car would start (actually, I bypassed the wiring to fool the switch into thinking that it is always engaged).

My only worry was possible excess clutch wear....but if you adjust the travel while on a slight incline you are good if you can push the clutch while in gear and the car can roll backwards).

·
Registered
451 Posts
rome5982 said:
Here is a great thread with pictures on clutch stops including DIY ones. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24000&highlight=clutch
I did it and my gear shifts are noticeably smoother and more consistant. It is a great mod! I did disengage the cutoff switch for clutch travel so my car would start (actually, I bypassed the wiring to fool the switch into thinking that it is always engaged).

Why would there be excess clutch wear? Also - why would you disengage your cutoff switch?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Jeremy152 said:

Why would there be excess clutch wear? Also - why would you disengage your cutoff switch?
If you adjust the clutch travel too short then it would be equivalent to "riding the clutch" which would wear out the clutch sooner.

I had to disengage the clutch travel cutoff switch because my car would not start due to the point I adjusted the clutch stop. It is just a safety feature built into the car so that you can not start your car without the clutch pedal depressed. This is suppose to keep you from being "in gear" and then starting your car and slamming into something in your garage :banghead: . But, I never leave my car in gear when I park, I only use the emergency brake (I live in flat florida).

If you don't want to do this, you can also rig the switch with some type of mechanical extension so that it still engages when you press your clutch pedal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts