E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
can ya spare some change?
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got car back from dealership.... had them do the clown nose thing for visual acknowledgement of locking and unlocking..... cost me $48 tho :sad: cause he claims it took them 1/2 an hour to do instead of the them thinking it would only take 5 minutes. Oh well.... still.... I love it.... no more wondering if I locked the doors :thumbup:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Supposedly, configuring your key memory is free usually at the time of purchase. My dealer said if I change my mind after they configured my key memory, then the dealership will charge me for it. Therefore, I got my clown nose set before I picked up my new car.

I say if you didn't get the first freebie, I would go back and demand them to do it for free. You can find the actual checklist of the key memory options on this forum if you do a search. I hope this helps...

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Yep, they are supposed to give you the list before you go pick up the car but I had to ask my dealer for it :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
GhozeFaZe said:
uh... was a clown nose thingy???
The red light on the bottom side of your rearview mirror. It flashes when you arm the alarm. It's also what you turn to dim the mirror if you don't have auto dimming mirrors.

·
Believe it!!!
804 Posts
i got it done for free.... i guess i talked them into it.. they have to program and stuff.... no charge..

·
can ya spare some change?
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, well free wasn't an possible, since its NOT part of the car programming sheet that you get when your car is new if you do not have the alarm. My dealership didn't even know about it until I told them it was in their Service Bulletin 09 03 98.

Since its not part on the programming sheet, most will have you pay, especially when its been over 2 years since you bought the car.

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,304 Posts
PowerDrift said:
yeah, well free wasn't an possible, since its NOT part of the car programming sheet that you get when your car is new if you do not have the alarm. My dealership didn't even know about it until I told them it was in their Service Bulletin 09 03 98.

Since its not part on the programming sheet, most will have you pay, especially when its been over 2 years since you bought the car.
I just stopped by the dealer one sunny afternoon and asked if they could do it. The service advisor knew exactly what I was asking about and they were done in less than 10 minutes. No charge, and my car is almost 4 years old.

I guess you need to find a better dealer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
well i bought my 2002 bmw 325xi (in b-more) in oct 2002... and i just went in in March 2003... and the guy that sold me the car told the technician to hook me up... he gave me a sheet, and i selected for locks to be locked automatically after 5mph and for the visual confirmation of lights blinking when i lock/unlock which comes with the clown nose thingy blinking when locked...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts