BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Once i lock my 318i, the clown nose from the alarm starts blinking fast (about 20 times). After that, it resumes its 'normal' speed. Does anyone know why this happens? Its new to me and didn't happen before...

All doors, trunk, windows and motor compartment are closed properly.

Thanks

Kind regards

Tommy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Huh what? I dont get it. It did not do that before, and people say that the system is recognizing an error somewhere?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Solved. I probably disarmed the alarm partially, after pressing the lock button twice. Brought it back to its original state by pressing the unlock button twice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From the remote? I replaced that one just days ago. Or do you mean the battery from the movement detection (within the car)?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
From the remote? I replaced that one just days ago. Or do you mean the battery from the movement detection (within the car)?

Thanks
No I mean the car battery in the car.
Once the car is off and the Alarm is activated your Alarm needs to draw power from the battery that is not getting recharged by the Alternator. This is called parasitic drain and since an old battery will not be sufficient enough to keep the Alarm functioning properly funny things happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Aj62r7tp2s

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll see if i can find someone to figure that out. The alarm must be checked every year i believe, for insurance, so i guess that they will notice if it's low?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hm if i have to believe the manual; enabling the alarm is not necessary (not even possible). When the car is locked, and you press button 2 again, the interior and tilt sensors are being disabled. Once unlocking the car (as normal), this temporary disabling is gone. Anyhow, i had the same problem just again... but this time the flap from the fuel-tank was open. So i unlocked the car, closed the flap and locked it again. Result: normal clown-nose interval. So i assume it also 'views' that flap? I will diagnostic the car (see if any error messages occur) if it happens again...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hello,

Once i lock my 318i, the clown nose from the alarm starts blinking fast (about 20 times). After that, it resumes its 'normal' speed. Does anyone know why this happens? Its new to me and didn't happen before...

All doors, trunk, windows and motor compartment are closed properly.

Thanks

Kind regards

Tommy
You have a faulty sensor, either hood, interior or tilt...look for loose connections

the fast blinking upon startup indicates a failed sensor

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hm if i have to believe the manual; enabling the alarm is not necessary (not even possible). When the car is locked, and you press button 2 again, the interior and tilt sensors are being disabled. Once unlocking the car (as normal), this temporary disabling is gone. Anyhow, i had the same problem just again... but this time the flap from the fuel-tank was open. So i unlocked the car, closed the flap and locked it again. Result: normal clown-nose interval. So i assume it also 'views' that flap? I will diagnostic the car (see if any error messages occur) if it happens again...
The alarm checks for all lockable content, even the glove compartment, if any function is disturbed or not properly locked prior to engaging the alarm it will trigger a fault and no longer use that device

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
OK, the problem continues, without being sure what it is now. Sometimes it helps to open and close everything but not always.

BUT, i found this:

Rear-Right:

Rear-Left:

See the difference? Can this maybe cause my problem? Closing it by hand or pushing on it does not make the pin go any further into the door BTW...

Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Nothing is open... but maybe it is the hood sensor since that one is sitting a bit loose (going downwards). I tried taping an 5mm piece of rubber on the inside of the hood but that didn't help.

Maybe i should make it a bit thicker and see if that works? (Yes i positioned it right but I'm unable to see if it really touches).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mystery solved, it's the Alarm System Switch at the hood (new part no. 61319119052). I tested it and it does not react all the time when releasing. So I'm gonna order that one for $15,-. The thing with the door is strange but not the problem, so it seems ;).

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Rapid blinking for the first 10 seconds indicates a fault in the gm5, something not registering shut properly, something to that effect. This doesn't necessarily mean something is open. Could be a faulty sensor or an issue with the GM5 itself. But this also indicates the interior motion sensor is disabled, as is I believe the tilt sensor. Test your motion sensor assuming you have one. Windows down, lock car, wait for 30 or so seconds to be safe, then wave your hand around in the car to see if it sets off the motion sensor.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts