BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I'm hopefully going to picking up a 325i Touring next week or so. I've asked my dealer to make sure that they activate the clown nose to blink when locking the car. I don't have an alarm (yet) as I want to DIY it, but I want this done when I pick it up (probably won't charge me.)

However, the dealer claimed this causes problems sometimes - things like the check engine light going on and stuff. He said its especially problematic with the MY03 cars, as they don't have the new 03 software (still using the 02 software.)

Anyone have this done on an 03 successfully? Anyone had a problem on any previous years?

Help! I want to make sure he's just not trying to make me get the alarm - I'm pretty sure this should be a easy thing for him to do.

·
Registered
591 Posts
My dad just had this done on the exact same car---2003 325i Touring. Works fine and the dealer (Westchester BMW in NY) had no problems about doing it.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Do you hq=ave to go to the dealer to activate the clown nose without an alarm? Has anyone activated it themselves somehow? I have a feeling that the dealer will rip me off if I ask them to do it...............................

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am pretty sure they have to do it - it's a software thing I think.

I am pretty sure the dealer is trying to just get me to buy the alarm.

If I have them do this, do I then need to get the alarm activated once I install it myself. I was under the impression that once the clown nose is activated and tehn you install the alarm, it's good to go.

·
Registered
296 Posts
My dealer activated the clown nose to blink before I had the alarm installed. When I installed the alarm, I had to go through another activation that was separate (and 50 bucks) to activate the alarm functions.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I printed a whole page from BMW Nation website about "The Clown Nose Controversy" http://www.bmwnation.com/tech/tech_3carkeycfg_01.html (scroll down the page), gave it to my dealer and they turned it on WITHOUT alarm on my 330Ci 2003. They did it without any questions or hassle.

Picked up my new coupe about two weeks ago. Clown nose works like a charm. Besides, flashing headlights when closing and opeing doors, the clown nose keeps blinking a small red light after the doors are closed, as if the real alarm system is activated ..... COOL.

AlexM520
330Ci '03
Toronto, Canada

·
Registered
487 Posts
It should not be a hassel. Basically the dealer hooks the in-shop computer up to you car and goes to the "Anti-Theft" activation section. He activates the alarm but unchecks the "DWA" option.

However, the only problems that can come about from this is if you have any other electrical problems in the future. When you activate the light, it makes the computer think that the car has an alarm installed. Fault codes will be generated because the computer is looking for data from the alarm but it can't find any. As I stated before, this won't cause any problems until you run into further electrical problems in the future. When you hook up the car to the diagnostic equipment in your service department, the tech will pull up a long string of fault codes and will be unable to tell what the problem is. As long as no other electrical components malfunction, you should be okay.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Had mine done for $47, so far no problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts