E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I impulsively bought my 2003 325i last fall because it looked great and was priced right. It ran great for the last ten months and 4,000 miles. Check engine light came on after I fueled the last time however. (had difficulty twisting gas cap off) I assumed the gas cap wasn't sealing but before I replaced it, I stopped at a garage to have them run diagnostics anyway. The guy mumbled some numbers, wrote them on his hand and went to his computer... I don't know what codes he found, but he confirmed that it was probably a gas tank emissions problem. He cleared the warning (along with 2 other "generic warnings" never told me what those were) and all hell broke loose! .....It's like he stabbed my BMW in the brain! The EML, Brake,check engine, and traction warning lights came on and the car went into limp mode... 1100 RPM's. He now gets a P1632 Throttle body code. He cleared this code and I was able to drive the car back to my home where it now sits with the above mentioned lights back on and once again in limp mode. I'm obviously not letting this guy touch the car again... and am kicking myself for not just replacing the gas cap and buying the BMW diagnostic app I later found online.

Any advise greatly appreciated!! -Jeff

·
Premium Member
28,872 Posts
Try disconnecting the MAF connector and see if it changes anything.

Also you should check your charging Voltage as well, see the 4th link below in my signature for the "Hidden OBC Menu".

You do not need a special BMW tool to get started, you should get an OBDII smart phone App and interface for less than $30, this will be a great help moving forward.

P1632 states - Throttle Valve Adaptation Conditions Not Met

Not exactly sure what the first guy did, if he screwed around under the hood he may have disconnected the connector on the throttle body and not fully seated/twisted the connector?

Need as much back history info as possible as well as what ever codes were pulled along with Freeze Frame data.

Might want to also check out the 1st link below in my signature, you car will need all of these things soon anyway.

·
Registered
2004 330i
7,411 Posts
can't tell ya how many times i've seen a car leave a shop and have problems it didn't have b4, i swear they do it delib so you come back

i don't bring my car anywhere, fin no where

what they can do with tools and knowledge so can i , if you never learn, you'll always be subject to this kid of scenario

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all....

Any specific recommendations on a decent code reader? There is a lot of conflicting info out there...

Disconnected MAF sensor...no change.

Stood next to the guy as he plugged in. He didn't touch anything other than his handheld diagnostic.

Hard to believe it could get this messed up clearing a fault code...

Thanks for the input ....Jeff

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2058056/2014-09-26 17.16.23.jpg

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
so you had the car off, disconnected the maf sensor, started the car back up and no changes? clean out your throttle body, idle control valve and make sure the intake tube don't have any holes in them

·
Registered
2004 330i
7,411 Posts
Thanks all....

Any specific recommendations on a decent code reader? There is a lot of conflicting info out there...

Disconnected MAF sensor...no change.

Stood next to the guy as he plugged in. He didn't touch anything other than his handheld diagnostic.

Hard to believe it could get this messed up clearing a fault code...

Thanks for the input ....Jeff

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2058056/2014-09-26 17.16.23.jpg

if droid tq pro app and a bluetooth adaptor

if iphone, i dunno, i don't buy nazi propoganda

·
Premium Member
28,872 Posts
Thanks all....

No conflicting info, just people that are clueless.

Search my user name and the term software.

·
Premium Member
28,872 Posts
Was on my phone so I could not easily link this - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=967204

Droid platforms and Nook - Torque Pro or TouchScan for Android and an OBDII to Bluetooth adapter such as this - http://www.amazon.com/iSaddle-Bluet...ie=UTF8&qid=1411866637&sr=8-1&keywords=elm327

So for around $17 with a Droid platform you have a tool that you can start with.

iProduts - OBDFusion and an OBDII to WiFi interface such as this - http://www.amazon.com/Globalebuy-EL...F8&qid=1411866764&sr=8-1&keywords=elm327+wifi

So for around $25 with a iProduct platform you have a tool you can start with.

You may need something a bit more advanced depending on what the exact problem is. Search BMW Scanner 1.4.0.

INPA or GT1 are other options, but regardless you need a smart phone App and interface for daily things anyway. You cannot always have your laptop in the car with you.

Also the smart phone Apps are not specific to BMW, they work on about 32 different manufacturers vehicles from 1996 and forward. Also the smart phone Apps can easily log/record data so it can be graphed like this - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=16203126

DO NOT LISTEN to people that tell you a Generic OBDII tool is worthless, they just do not know what they are doing and how useful the Generic OBDII tools are. If the SES/CEL/MIL comes on, any Generic OBDII tool will read the codes and if it is a decent tool will read Live/Real Time data and Freeze Frame info.

In your case you may ALSO need something more BMW specific, but I would suggest not looking at the Peake Reader, too limited and too expensive.

So no conflicting info here, just the facts and real world advice.

You may need to try a Regional Forum and see if someone has the BMW Scanner 1.4.0 or GT1/INPA close by to help you out. It would be quicker than ordering and waiting for a shipment from Asia, usually about 3 weeks unless there are Asian holidays.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.