BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used the water blade once and now have long, horizontal, tiny hairline scratches on the hood, roof and trunk of my new ride. It's ugly since they extend from one end all the way to the other; however, these scratches are tiny and noticeable only under certain types of lighting (just like swirl marks). I was told these scratches are on the "clear coat" only and should come off after being detailed or what not. But I was also told these tiny scratches are permanently embedded in the ride's paint and that detailing would only make the scratches less noticeable. Who's correct? I'd appreciate any feedback on this!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Detailing only makes them less noticable

You should never use towels on your car. Towel drying at first is not noticable but after a year or more you see more and more towel scratches. Over a 5 year period your car will start to look like it has a old paint job with a duller finish and very noticable finish scratches. I see some black paint jobs like this and it makes me cringe. These fine scratches reflect light at a angle and thats why it is noticable.

I use one of those sponge towels which I use since a water blade cant go everywhere. Make sure you are properly storing your waterbade. Also the sponge towels should always be stored damp in its case otherwise it hardens. Wash your car, the you can use a clay bar, then fine scratch remover with orbital polisher lightly without many rotations in the same spot, then and two step polish on top. This will get very fine scratches to the minimum. The fine scratch remover reduces the clear coat finish and will dull it because it has a fine abrasive so don't go nuts on it, this is why you need a two step polish on top to shine the finish. Disclaimer is that if you damage your finish from using a fine scratch remover over a large area, it's your responsibility.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts