BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I've got a thick layer of dirt of my M3 and I was wondering if taking it to a car wash would mess up the paint in anyway or the rims when they put it on that tow machine with rails? Its too cold and I'm too lazy to handwash it at this point.

·
First 19" ZHP
1,463 Posts
try to take it to a touch free carwash but dont use the regular kind with all the brushes that will give your car a lot of scrathes

·
SBBMotorwerks
557 Posts
I agree with nikemykee....if its too cold to wash your car, then take it to a touchless carwash, but keep in mind, the jets they use to blast the dirt off your wheels is slightly acidic and if it isnt completely rinsed off it can harm the finish on your wheels.

I use the touchless carwashes in the middle of winter. I know some people dont like carwashes, but i figure those carwashes are better on my car than roadsalt!!

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
A lot of people don't wash their cars during winter because they say "It's just going to get dirty again". It's crucial that you wash your car once a week, twice a week if possible during winter. Definitly go for the touchless car washes... but the problem with this is that the high pressure sprays can sometimes grind the dirt right back into your paint. Nothing will substitute for a careful maticulous hand wash.

I still handwash my car during cold weather. Some tips are to use warm wash water so you don't freeze your hands off. Just make sure you don't use HOT water because this will strip your wax. There is also a method of using two buckets and washing your car in your garage. One bucket is for washing, the other is for rinsing. This way you don't have to use your hose, and you can stay in your garage where it's warmer.

I've never taken my BMW to an auto car wash, so I couldn't advise you about driving up on those rails. But I remember when I would take my sister's Jeep Wrangler to the car wash, and there were these huge humps I had to drive over. I can't imagine driving over those with my Bimmer...

So I guess either suck it up and wash in cold weather, or take it to a touchless car wash, but keeping in mind that if you have a lot of dirt on your paint, the water jets may make it worse.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Don't have that problem down here in the South. I'm still wearing shorts and T-shirt and can still wash my ride by hand...hehe:lmao:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yewww bastid!

:confused: :slap:

idoc330ci said:
Don't have that problem down here in the South. I'm still wearing shorts and T-shirt and can still wash my ride by hand...hehe:lmao:

·
There I was, Sicily, 1918..
2,528 Posts
idoc330ci said:

Today's temp: 79 degrees and partly cloudy. LOVING IT!!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
idoc330ci, you're a cruel, cruel person :lmao:

Perhaps I shouldn't mention that it's about 73 here, and completely clear blue skies.... ahhhh... :smokin:

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
nobody washes my car, but me, i'm sure you'll do the same for your m3.

·
Bimmerless
1,933 Posts
most car washes offer what is called a BUCKET WASH. they will wash your car with a hose and bucket, for an additional fee. when my car is way too damn dirty, or there is tons of garbage in it, i take it to the wash. in and out in an hour. everything armor alled w/ tip for $20

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Sicily1918 said:
idoc330ci, you're a cruel, cruel person :lmao:

Perhaps I shouldn't mention that it's about 73 here, and completely clear blue skies.... ahhhh... :smokin:

Dude, how can u tell with all that nasty SMOG!!:lmao:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Um, I'm in NH and I still handwash my cars. It's not that cold yet. I hate to say it, but grow a set. Oh and can I have your M3, I would hand wash an M3 in -10 F if I had one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thaison, Lugnut2683, and others:

Now that's its really gonna get cold, I'm thinking about going to Sweetwater in Chantilly. But I grimmace when I see it go thought the "carwash gauntlet" and get it wiped down with the same rag as the last 100 nasty-mobiles...

Anyone in NOVA got a better pro carwash solution?

·
.--. . -. .. ...
5,499 Posts
79 today, supposed to get colder tomorrow tho. Why dont you just take it to a self wash? Thats what I do when its a little cold. Just take it to a self wash for a whole 5 min and do the wheels or whatever needs extra attention in your garage....

·
Registered
732 Posts
its like 30 degrees here in chicago if not lower.....and its not gettin ne warmer ne time soon! damn u floridians! anyways, I think I'm gonna like have to open up my own indoor wash urself carwash or something.... good idea? cuz hand washes at the place nearby my house are expensive....damn 12 bucks for something not worth 12 bucks.....touch free place i know is like 5 bucks, but last time I took my dad's LS430 through it, most of the water froze on it before it even dried! the auto-close mirrors wouldnt even close cuz they were frozen and iced up! I donno, im gonna have to think of something....oh btw, all you northerners do get ur car washed after it snows right? over here, there is SO MUCH salt on the ground, holy crap! all the cars have so much salt on them its like a miracle it doesnt eat through right away! so yeah....get that salt off once it starts snowing!

·
Resident Biznatch Slapper
272 Posts
It blows me away that guys that drive a 40k+ car are unwilling to take 1/2 hour to wash their cars, and then to consider taking it to an automatic car wash?????

I must care about my car too much. Noone will wash my car but me, ever, period.

·
Registered
13 Posts
dont be lazy and just hand wash it!!!!! hose it down and if your having problems removing the dirt or road grime, theres a special compound used to take off your dirt. i forgot the exact name but look for it whereever you shop...and wax that area back up if you care...hope that helps

·
Registered
153 Posts
- 40 in bosnia still washing humvee by hand

1 - 20 of 26 Posts