BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Need some cleaning advice. First things first, I managed to (que: laugh now) get oil all over my windscreen. Even though the fabric is black, you can still see a difference in color from where the oil was spillt. How should I tackle cleaning this?

Second, the "rear deck" as I call it, the vinyl deck piece where the soft top is stored in. It's filthy (being gray and 10 years old doesn't help). I've tried just using simple detailing spray with a towel, and when I was using leather treatment on my seats I did that area as well. Still is filthy though, i'd like to try and use a soft "scrub" brush with bristles, however I don't want to damage it. Would this be a good safe approach, or is that too abrasive?

·
Registered
974 Posts
First, the wind deflector: Spray on degreaser is a wonder cleaning product. I'd definitely give that a go, then hose off.
The rear deck is made of hard plastic. A medium brush (such as a nail brush) wouldn't harm the plastic IMO. Maybe the brush with some pure soap?
Let's know how you make out :)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gave the rear deck a scrub with a very fine nail type brush with soap & water - It's dark out though so I can't really see how clean it is compared to when its light outside. However the bucket I was using was dark grey almost black by the time I finished....so I think it helped ;)

I'll pick up some degreaser soon and try out my windscreen - Heres to hoping it'll take oil out!

·
Registered
974 Posts
When I bought my car last year the trunk carpet had crap all over it and I was in despair about how to clean it.
Went round to a mate's place, we took the carpet out & he squirted degreaser all over it, pressure sprayed it & it came up good as new.
So I'd definitely give it a go!

·
Registered
8,430 Posts
A brush and some vinyl cleaner will do the trick. The rear decklid attracts so much dirt.. Its a pain in the a$$ to keep clean.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Every spring, this is how I "restore" my windscreen.

As strange as it sounds I spray it down with one of the foaming tire cleaner/shiner sprays available at any car accessory store or Walmart.
Once the foam disappears I wipe down the metal bars and the darn thing is restored to its original clean/bright finish, even the screen parts.

Of course, DON'T do this while the windscreen is mounted on he car!
LOL.

As to the deck cover, I wipe it down whenever I was my car with the same sponge and carwash soap I use to wash the car. This keeps it clean. As the cover is not leather, I then treat it with ArmorAll. (Never use ArmorAll on leather)

Hope these methods work for you

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just used shoe cleaner and a light/medium brush on my back deck. came out great

...*sigh* i need to get off my ass and make a sig

1 - 7 of 7 Posts