E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello e46 community, quick question in regards to cleaning the engine bay. I recently bought my first BMW (04 325ci MT) and the previous owner babied the hell out of it. Engine bay is absolutely spotless as well as the interior. Just wondering what's the best approach to keeping it clean? Is wrapping up the wiring and power washing a good idea? Should I let a de-greaser of some type sit for a while and rinse it off? Any advice is much appreciated.

·
Registered
656 Posts
If it's spotless why would you need a degreaser? Low-pressure water or hand-washing, trying to avoid the electrical components, will do the job.

·
Registered
0 Posts
liberally spray on a degreaser(super clean is the best IMO). let it sit for a few minutes, then hose it down being careful around electrical components. DO NOT POWERWASH, you are relatively safe using a hose in the engine bay as everything is pretty well sealed, but if you start powerwashing you can seriously damage things.

After the rinse, let it dry, or go for a drive to speed up the drying. Once dry wipe down the plastic with your favorite trim dressing, i prefer aerospace 303.

Here is the engine bay of a car i just recently bought after doing this treatment. This engine bay was filthy before(probably never been cleaned).

I usually do this sort of treatment to my cars once or twice a year. The rest of the time a simple wipe down with trim dressing is all it needs.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,366 Posts
liberally spray on a degreaser(super clean is the best IMO). let it sit for a few minutes, then hose it down being careful around electrical components. DO NOT POWERWASH, you are relatively safe using a hose in the engine bay as everything is pretty well sealed, but if you start powerwashing you can seriously damage things.
Which super clean product? Foaming? Link would be great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts