E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I have a 2005 M3 convertible with the stock navigation system. I tried cleaning off some of the dust and fingerprints on the screen with a napkin and spit (realize this was a mistake) and it left a smudge mark on the screen that I cannot remove. I haven't tried using any other cloth or chemical to remove it yet.

Does anyone know a safe way of removing this smudge and cleaning the screen in general? Any help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
I use a slight squirt of eye glass cleaning fluid and a soft lint free cloth that you get at an eye glass shop.

I NEVER use windex or spray bottle house cleaning soaps.

The screen is factory coated with an anti glare oil layer that rubs off over time from harsh cleaning and leaves ugly smudges and scratches across the screen surface.

There is a DIY for recoating or fixing this. I think you may have cleaned off the factory glare coating.

http://www.diymybmw.com/e46/fix-scratches-on-navigation-lcd-display/

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
OP, get some wipes that are safe to use on LCD and flat screens and you should be okay. Treat that screen as you would a laptop or TV screen.

·
Registered
938 Posts
When I bought mine, the nav screen had sh!t all over it - I think the PO had sprayed it with armourall. Anyway, while I had it out of the car for an aux audio input project, I cleaned it with methylated spirits & cotton wool, using q-tips for the corners and edges. This worked great and left no streaks/smudges at all.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I use a slight squirt of eye glass cleaning fluid and a soft lint free cloth that you get at an eye glass shop.

I NEVER use windex or spray bottle house cleaning soaps.

The screen is factory coated with an anti glare oil layer that rubs off over time from harsh cleaning and leaves ugly smudges and scratches across the screen surface.

There is a DIY for recoating or fixing this. I think you may have cleaned off the factory glare coating.

http://www.diymybmw.com/e46/fix-scratches-on-navigation-lcd-display/
This glass idea sounds great. Since the glass cloth's are extremely silky, and smooth.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
This glass idea sounds great. Since the glass cloth's are extremely silky, and smooth.
Yeah I keep one in my ashtray. I always dry wipe it and ONLY use liquids if there are spots that cant be dry wiped off.

I don't have pets, kids or people eating/drinking in my car and I only drive 1-3times a week so the screen rarely gets dirty from that. If anything it collects dust.

But the best way to keep it tidy and fresh is to follow that DIY and get a nu shield after you remove any smudges.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
delmarco why does your nav look like that? The graphics look almost 3d? Mine looks alot older than that.
You need the upgrade for the navigation software. where have you been?
get on that.

·
Registered
137 Posts
haha I just bought the car last Saturday, it probably has the original software from 2004. Where and how do I upgrade the software? Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the all the feedback guys. I'm sure I did remove the anti-glare oil layer as this smudge has a terrible glare in the sun. Appreciate the DIY delmarco - I just may use this. Btw, have you or anyone you know used this and did it work out alright?

Also, Is it possible to clean the screen entirely (remove anti-glare oil) and reapply the same anti-glare oil that the factory originally used instead of using the screen protector?

Thanks!

·
Registered
725 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts