BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have cleaned the MAF Sensor with CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner and reset the faulty code. But after I started the engine, the code was there again. Is there any other problem that can be causing the code to appear or should I buy a new MAF Sensor?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
What is the Code?

My MAF had a shorted transistor -- gate voltage shorted to ground, or something specific like that -- that showed up within seconds of connecting the BMW diagnostic machine to the car.

·
Registered
26,429 Posts
What code are you getting?

Often a maf code can be an intake leak. The car thinks the maf must be bad because the mixture is off. It doesn't know that the car is taking in air and thus just thinks the maf is defective. It might not be.

Other than the code, what are your symptoms?

Get a garden hose 5' long and use it as a stethoscope to listen for air leaks...hissing...while someone is revving the car. Check particularly down by the lower intake boot...the elbow to the icv. You could also have other vac leaks affecting the mixture. I'm sure my maf is original...just have that feeling. They can go bad, but yours might be fine.

If you decide you need one, check out the Hyundai maf which is identical to some of our mafs...and much cheaper.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am using the peake scanner tool (R5 FCX3) the code is 19 - 08. The book says only Air Mass Sensor. Does anyone know what is the range when checking with a multimeter?

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another scanner shows "Signal - Mass Air Flow Sensor".

I just took the MAF sensor out and checked the voltage between the pins. Between 1 and 2 000.0 mV. Between 3 and 2 and 1 and 3 the voltage ranged between 1.9 and 6.0.

I do not know anything about electricity but hope this helps.

Thanks

·
Registered
504 Posts
You need a scan tool that can read live data so that you can look at your MAF reading and your engine load % reading. At WOT load should go to around 90% or higher.
Also look at your fuel trims, are they high/low or near 0%.
If you don't know what I am talking about then your only choise is to throw a MAF sensor at it. Or just take it to someone who knows what they are doing.

Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi all and XXRUSIANXX,

What you told me was way too complicated for my mechanical skills. After I took out the intake boot, I figured out there was anything wrong with those hoses. I looked for cracks or any possible leak and found nothing. I went to autozone and got a remade MAF Sensor for $313 and they gave me back $75 dollars for returning the old one. The MAF sensor faulty code is gone and I am looking forward to fixing all other codes.

Thank you for your help guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts