E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Grüne Hölle Junkie
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, the nice factory finish on my OEM brakes has been destroyed by salt! what i would like to know is, what is the best way to prep the calipers for painting? i plan on using high temp silver paint (same color as rims) and want to know what's the best way to clean the calipers so that the paint will stick and stay there?:dunno: simple green? acid? sand blast?:dunno: TIA

Front brake

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
6,696 Posts
I'd start with Simple Green and a stiff nylon brush. That's how I cleaned mine last year. I also used some fine steel wool for some of it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
915 Posts
vinnymac said:
I'd start with Simple Green and a stiff nylon brush. That's how I cleaned mine last year. I also used some fine steel wool for some of it.

Good luck.

Ditto this- used same when I painted mine. The brake paint kit also included a can of commopn brake cleaner which worked great too. I wire brush & taking the time to do nooks & crannies will be fine!

·
Grüne Hölle Junkie
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for all the replies. now i gotta try to find simple green here in germany. used to be able to get it on base, but not any more:sad: another question- would heating the caliper up with a heat gun help the paint adhear to the metal?

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
I wouldnt think heating it up would be a good idea Im not postive though...the rustolem high temp paint should be able to handle the heat of them though...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Try P21S gel wheel cleaner and let it soak for a while......... it a strong cleaner and should get that flim off your calipers..... and its made in germany too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts