BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am struggling with what to do with my leftover M3 Convertible shell. The wiring is intact for the most part, black carpet is there, doors, rear fenders, trunk, etc. are all in good shape and the top works. The rear bumper, front end sheetmetal and interior are mostly gone. The car is setup on 323i subframes as a roller as I used this to build a S54 touring.

It seems like this should have some value from the clean title, but I haven't seen a lot of interest in it as a project or for other use such as rebuilding a wrecked car. Interested in what others think as I could easily strip some remaining parts and junk the chassis, but I would really like to see it live on in some form or fashion if it is possible.

So, what should I do with this thing? :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Is the convertible top the same on the M3 as the 330CI? My rag top is a bit faded/worn and one of the bows has a dent on the top. I wish I'd seen this when I was in San Antonio, TX.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am struggling with what to do with my leftover M3 Convertible shell. The wiring is intact for the most part, black carpet is there, doors, rear fenders, trunk, etc. are all in good shape and the top works. The rear bumper, front end sheetmetal and interior are mostly gone. The car is setup on 323i subframes as a roller as I used this to build a S54 touring.

It seems like this should have some value from the clean title, but I haven't seen a lot of interest in it as a project or for other use such as rebuilding a wrecked car. Interested in what others think as I could easily strip some remaining parts and junk the chassis, but I would really like to see it live on in some form or fashion if it is possible.

So, what should I do with this thing? :)
How long did it take you to do the swap? I am thinking about doing the same... Maybe supercharge while we're in there. Love the touring.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
How long did it take you to do the swap? I am thinking about doing the same... Maybe supercharge while we're in there. Love the touring.
Appreciate it. I believe it took me about three months from start to finish. If I had to do it again, it would go much quicker :)

Edit, looks like it went by quicker than that, but like any project, it's never really "done". I've put about 6k miles on it so far, just want to finish up the interior and then look into the bodywork next before calling it done.

Once I had the donor drivetrain out, I believe I spent about three weeks getting it all into the touring and up and running. I was working on it during nights and weekends as I still had my normal job to do during the day.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Appreciate it. I believe it took me about three months from start to finish. If I had to do it again, it would go much quicker :)

Edit, looks like it went by quicker than that, but like any project, it's never really "done". I've put about 6k miles on it so far, just want to finish up the interior and then look into the bodywork next before calling it done.

Once I had the donor drivetrain out, I believe I spent about three weeks getting it all into the touring and up and running. I was working on it during nights and weekends as I still had my normal job to do during the day.
I will "hopefully" be doing the same. The M3 verts seem a bit easier to come by.

For me, the stock m54 with the 3.46 final drive is already quite enjoyable... adding sharper handling and 100hp with a 6 speed must dial it up to 11!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts