BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been searching for days to solve this problem without spending more money. I've talked to 5 mechanics and they mostly shrug and want me to bring the car in for diag.

2003 325i, 45,000 miles, manual, sedan. Purchased a few months ago. Radio was replaced with a CD53, 2005 build. At some point the 2005 CD53 radio was replaced with a Sony, which involved splicing into the I-Bus wire. But I re-installed the BMW CD53 and re-connected the I-Bus and the steering wheel buttons work normally. No I-pod / DICE gizmo or aftermarket bluetooth connected. I did do the OEM Aux input, which works. More on that clue later.

Took the car to an indy BMW mechanic to get the CKM programmed. He has an Auotlogic MODIC and wants $85, compared to $200 at the dealer. Final result was some memory features got changed, but this also happened:

Key used during the memory programming would no longer open the trunk via the remote button. The key was ID'd by the MODIC as key #1, which I'm pretty sure was the ISN, not the initialization key number. There is a setting in the CKM features which allows, as a car wide feature, not key dependent, to allow opening the trunk lid via remote either "always" or "only when unlocked". We set it to always, which was default anyway. Whether "unlocked" meant alarm "disarmed" or not, wasn't clear because the setting is found under the DWA area of the program. The car does not have DWA, but we also set the visual notification area on locking / unlocking for cars with no DWA. The corner lights do not blink on lock / unlock like thet should, but the clown nose does blink on lock. So, I'm scratching my head on that as well. We otherwise disabled the other DWA options and left arm/disarm on "remote or key".

Here's the strange part: The #2 key will open the trunk with the remote button. Had me thinking the #1 key had a bad contact, so I got it open and tested the trunk switch, which showed good operation on voltage testing. Decided to initialize the keys and that was successful, but nothing changed. Then I initialized the keys in the opposite order (key #2 first) and the functionality switched. The second key I initialized would open the trunk via remote and the first key initialized would not open the trunk. I could do this over and over with the same results. So, it's pointing to nothing wrong with the keys. The problem I'm having getting my head around is remote opening of the trunk is not listed as a key specific funtion, it's a car wide memory setting. Yet it certainly isn't behaving that way.

I've worn out my welcome with my indy mechanic. But I'll go back there one more time if I could tell him which menus on the Autologic MODIC to use to cure this problem. Any help from someone who know that software inside out would be appreciated.

Finally, these features never worked and might be related to the problem:
1. Panic mode from remote does not work on either key. Never has.
2. Window roll up by holding remote "close" button does not work on either key and never has.
3. Visual alert on locking/unlocking does not work on the corner lights, which I'm thinking has to do with #1, and might have to do with the radio swap out, since the previous owner was in the steering column snipping the I-bus wire to get the steering buttons to work with his Sony radio.

My question regarding #1 and #3 is where is the control module that talks to the exterior corner lights ? If I can find it, I'll make sure it's connected.

Here are the solutions from professionals:

Indy mechanic #1: toil away, trial and error, at $85/hour as he self teaches himself the inner chambers of Autologic capabilities.

Indy mechanic #2: For $105. check fault codes and if none are found, then get in there and try to re-program CKM. Open ended budget if faults are found.

Dealer: $175 to get in and re-program CKM to my desired settings. Main reason I'm leaning this way is the dealer has the most experience in CKM and it appears the BMW MODIC has a button that resets the CKM to factory defaults, and if that works re-programming memory settings correctly will probably work. If not, it's live with it or open ended expenses to get it right.

One reason I bring up the radio is the BMW tech sheet says to have the radio turned on when doing CKM programming, if you car has DSP (it does), but my indy mechanic did not have the radior turned on. However, this might only apply to earlier models which pulled a unique code from the radio.

Many thanks for tapping your knowledge base. The pros have never heard of such a problem.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
My head hurts from what I've read.

I read it thoroughly, but I still dont understand what your problem is.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
no E46 has DSP and it is usually not necessary to have the radio on while performing CKM programming in an E46. If the radio needs to be on for any reason, the BMW tester will turn it on for you. the exception is programming the adaptive headlight module in which the headlamp switch must be set to "A".

AutoLogic is not related to MoDiC. AutoLogic is an aftermarket diagnostics tool company. MoDiC is the legacy diagnostic system (developed by Bosch) used by BMW, in its dealer network from the 1990's. Is has been replaced by the Siemens GT1/DIS and now the "3G" ISIS system.

If you want to mess more with the indy, either he or the AutoLogic is not programming CKM settings correctly as it relates to the key assignments. The key individualization feature is kind of fickle on the E46's for some reason. I recommend you have all of the key assignments programmed the same.

I wouldn't recommend enabling any of the DWA settings if you don't have it installed. However, you can enable the corner light flash and clown nose blink using the BMW system.

No BMW destined for the US can close the windows by holding the lock button. However, it can be custom-programmed using some aftermarket testers and the BMW factory programming tool.

you might not want to hear this but I recommend you bite the bullet and go to the dealer for CKM programming. do yourself a favor and call 2 or 3 dealers because most should only charge an hour labor for CKM programming. Hopefully this will clear up your problem.

oh, and if you cut your diamond-shaped key apart to test the trunk button, you just compromised or ruined the waterproof feature of the key.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Sounds like you just need to go back in and reset the trunk button for key #1. The per-key options are not stored on the key. For many of the options there are per-key settings and default/non-remote settings. For instance if you want to have the central locking unlock all the doors at once with your valet/non-remote key you'd set the default. For the remotes, you'd set them per key. You don't need to reinitialize the keys after changing the settings.

Activating specific lights on lock or arming of the alarm is a per key + default option. Off the top of my head you can set the corner lights, high beams, low beams, and alarm siren separately. Locking and arming/disarming are separate options.

If your indy has an Autologic tool, I'd call (or have him call) Autologic to see if they can explain how to program it properly.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
no E46 has DSP and it is usually not necessary to have the radio on while performing CKM programming in an E46. If the radio needs to be on for any reason, the BMW tester will turn it on for you. the exception is programming the adaptive headlight module in which the headlamp switch must be set to "A".

AutoLogic is not related to MoDiC. AutoLogic is an aftermarket diagnostics tool company. MoDiC is the legacy diagnostic system (developed by Bosch) used by BMW, in its dealer network from the 1990's. Is has been replaced by the Siemens GT1/DIS and now the "3G" ISIS system.

If you want to mess more with the indy, either he or the AutoLogic is not programming CKM settings correctly as it relates to the key assignments. The key individualization feature is kind of fickle on the E46's for some reason. I recommend you have all of the key assignments programmed the same.

I wouldn't recommend enabling any of the DWA settings if you don't have it installed. However, you can enable the corner light flash and clown nose blink using the BMW system.

No BMW destined for the US can close the windows by holding the lock button. However, it can be custom-programmed using some aftermarket testers and the BMW factory programming tool.

you might not want to hear this but I recommend you bite the bullet and go to the dealer for CKM programming. do yourself a favor and call 2 or 3 dealers because most should only charge an hour labor for CKM programming. Hopefully this will clear up your problem.

oh, and if you cut your diamond-shaped key apart to test the trunk button, you just compromised or ruined the waterproof feature of the key.
ista takes 1.2 hours MIN to get into car-key memory with ISTA ISTA/p is a mess right now......

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the background info. I'll spend the $$ at the dealer and at least get the trunk opening via remote with both keys.

Good info on the fickleness of individualizing key memory functions. I'll just stay away from customizing the keys. Seems to lead to a lot of chasing your own tail.

Cutting open the remote key WAS a regrettable decision. I would not have thought they were waterproof, but they are not only glued tight at the seam, the rubber under the buttons is vulcanized to the plastic key. Nice job ! But, I wouldn't risk taking the key in my wetsuit while surfing.

On the windows going up by holding the Lock button on the remote: I was wrong on that. The window will go up using the key in the lock and holding it towards lock. Not via remote.

There is a CKM options bulletin (TIS) put out by BMW which says the window closing can be configured for the remote key lock button, but it also says some settings are nation specific. Apparently the U.S. cars lack that capability. Would be a nice feature, but re-programming the computer sounds like it could go bad in big way.

As to why the corner lights won't flash on remote lock, and why the panic mode does not work. . . If the dealer can't fix it by menu settings, I'll have to get over my obsession to bring this vehicle back to OEM condition.

Thanks again for filling in the critical details.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Thanks for the background info. I'll spend the $$ at the dealer and at least get the trunk opening via remote with both keys.

Good info on the fickleness of individualizing key memory functions. I'll just stay away from customizing the keys. Seems to lead to a lot of chasing your own tail.

Cutting open the remote key WAS a regrettable decision. I would not have thought they were waterproof, but they are not only glued tight at the seam, the rubber under the buttons is vulcanized to the plastic key. Nice job ! But, I wouldn't risk taking the key in my wetsuit while surfing.

On the windows going up by holding the Lock button on the remote: I was wrong on that. The window will go up using the key in the lock and holding it towards lock. Not via remote.

There is a CKM options bulletin (TIS) put out by BMW which says the window closing can be configured for the remote key lock button, but it also says some settings are nation specific. Apparently the U.S. cars lack that capability. Would be a nice feature, but re-programming the computer sounds like it could go bad in big way.

As to why the corner lights won't flash on remote lock, and why the panic mode does not work. . . If the dealer can't fix it by menu settings, I'll have to get over my obsession to bring this vehicle back to OEM condition.

Thanks again for filling in the critical details.
The dealer will be able to code the flashing lights/clown nose using the tester.

Panic mode will only work if you have the DWA siren installed.

If I were you, I would buy the alarm system, install it, have it coded to your car, then spec the CKM settings all at once.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
ista takes 1.2 hours MIN to get into car-key memory with ISTA ISTA/p is a mess right now......
that's awful! I thought SSS was bad.. what does your shop charge for a simple CKM change? I had a local dealer quote me $50 to activate my alarm system when SSS was still around which i'm sure was very generous.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
that's awful! I thought SSS was bad.. what does your shop charge for a simple CKM change? I had a local dealer quote me $50 to activate my alarm system when SSS was still around which i'm sure was very generous.
I use Autologic for that . I save Issis for the newer cars. With the Icom(4500) plus the BMW subscription 2500 a year. Then add a new speced laptop(only for BMW) $700 its becoming more expensive. Don't forget the stupid duetronics charger as well!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As an update: I spent $175 at the dealer to re-program the CKM (car key memory). Got good value. They cured all my original problems. Including being able to indivualize each key to the radio setting that was last accessed with that key, and that is not even on the list of possible settings for the U.S. destination E46 cars. At the same time, they screwed up a few other important settings which they will have to fix on return trip. That speaks to the daunting menu navigaton required to get it 100% right. Even the pros can screw it up, which is most likely because they don't get much practice programming E46 keys. How they fixed it ? Unfortunately, I won't know because at the dealer, you don't get to talk to the mechanic. The words on the service order were: "Initialization incorrect".

Dealer also gave me a free loaner for 24 hours. Didn't even charge for the gas. 2010 528, 3K miles, fully loaded. $54,000 MSRP. So many buttons and screens it took me 10 minutes to make the car move. Plenty of negs: Long hood to look over when driving. Small rear window for limited rear visibility. Blinker lever not conventional. Acceleration from standstill lagged in normal mode. Electronic parking brake. Price of a small house. On the positives, the nav voiceover was just right and the bluetooth phone link worked great, and that's an upgrade I'm considering for the E46. I'm thinking OEM bluetooth is the way to go because it brings up the phonebook in the radio display and none of the aftermarket bluetooth solutions do that. Finally, driving the techno marvel 528 had me thinking the E46 is about as far technologically as a car needs to be. The 528 was over the top techno wise.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
As an update: I spent $175 at the dealer to re-program the CKM (car key memory). Got good value. They cured all my original problems. Including being able to indivualize each key to the radio setting that was last accessed with that key, and that is not even on the list of possible settings for the U.S. destination E46 cars. At the same time, they screwed up a few other important settings which they will have to fix on return trip. That speaks to the daunting menu navigaton required to get it 100% right. Even the pros can screw it up, which is most likely because they don't get much practice programming E46 keys. How they fixed it ? Unfortunately, I won't know because at the dealer, you don't get to talk to the mechanic. The words on the service order were: "Initialization incorrect".

Dealer also gave me a free loaner for 24 hours. Didn't even charge for the gas. 2010 528, 3K miles, fully loaded. $54,000 MSRP. So many buttons and screens it took me 10 minutes to make the car move. Plenty of negs: Long hood to look over when driving. Small rear window for limited rear visibility. Blinker lever not conventional. Acceleration from standstill lagged in normal mode. Electronic parking brake. Price of a small house. On the positives, the nav voiceover was just right and the bluetooth phone link worked great, and that's an upgrade I'm considering for the E46. I'm thinking OEM bluetooth is the way to go because it brings up the phonebook in the radio display and none of the aftermarket bluetooth solutions do that. Finally, driving the techno marvel 528 had me thinking the E46 is about as far technologically as a car needs to be. The 528 was over the top techno wise.
glad to hear you got it fixed (almost). Key-individualization for radio presets is available on most US E46's btw. Most do not set it. I probably would if more than I drove the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts