E46 Fanatics Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have wiring diagrams for the city lights for the E46? The parts are easy to come by, but all the DIY writups I've seen tap into the corner lights. Well, on the E46, the corner lights only have a single filament, which means that they blink when you use the directional. So if you hook up the city lights to the corner lights, then the city lights will also blink. The other common option is to hook them up to the foglights, but I don't want to HAVE to turn on the fogs to turn on the city lights. My local dealer said he doesn't have access to the wiring diagrams.

SO, does anybody here either A) have the wiring diagrams (bentley?) that show where the city lights get connected (probably under the dash), or B) have a Euro E46 and can trace the wires for me? I'd really appreciate some help on this. Thanks.

· Banned
4 Posts
Jackboot said:
What the heck are city lights? Daytime running lights or something different?
from what i understand, city lights are for when you are driving in a well lit area at night, i.e. a city, or well lit highway that you will usually find in the city. They are for when you dont necessarily need the road lit up, but you still want your cars front illuminated to be seen and stay legal. i think at least....

1,923 Posts
skaggy said:
from what i understand, city lights are for when you are driving in a well lit area at night, i.e. a city, or well lit highway that you will usually find in the city. They are for when you dont necessarily need the road lit up, but you still want your cars front illuminated to be seen and stay legal. i think at least....
kinda correct but you can only get away with that in europe,

city light goes in the little hole in you high beam dome, the sockets cost me like $15 (special order at the dealer) i opened the hole with a dremel put in the bulb and socket and i tapped them to the fogs.

i would post a pic but i cant log in to my photos with this version forum. :banghead:

· Beware of pwner
2,451 Posts
I wired the positve to the positive wire for the cigarette lighter, and hooked up a switch to turn it off and on. I grounded it to the body, by wiring it to one of the screws near the headlights. This way you can turn it on with the engine off, and have it off while driving.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All I want is for the city lights to operate the same as they do in Europe; when I turn on the parking lights, they should light up, and then when the low beams come on, they stay on. Is that too much to ask? :) I find it difficult to believe that BMW used a completely different lighting control module for US spec cars. I find it more likely that they just didn't install the necessary wiring for the city lights on US spec cars. I just need to figure out where that wiring needs to go. Perhaps it taps into the back of the lighting switch someplace...

1,923 Posts
does it really bother to have the fogs on too?, i think you wanna go the hard way about it.

heres a pic of my old set up before the lightnings. i had yellow citylights that come on when the fogs are on.

· Registered
1,821 Posts
so the city lights are the two interior bulbs...what kind of bulbs are they..and they look the same a day time running lamps...and MIAMITOPAZ....car looks sweettt.. now all u need is some darks ass tint to finish it off...

1,923 Posts
Estoril_Blue said:
so the city lights are the two interior bulbs...what kind of bulbs are they..and they look the same a day time running lamps...and MIAMITOPAZ....car looks sweettt.. now all u need is some darks ass tint to finish it off...
the bulbs are 194 same as sidemarker. thanx for the compliment, i like these tints cuz ppl can still see me, im pimpin a bimmer :craig:

btw- those are white led's in the parking lamps, now i have'em normally off tho (looks better)

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just an update to my old thread:

It only took me 10 months, but I finally got the city lights hooked up last night. I read someplace that somebody had hooked them up to their taillight power feed. So, I yanked out the glovebox, found the power feed to the rear taillights (which are on with the headlights and parking lights, but don't blink when you signal) and voila! Instant city light hookup. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.