BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know a way to switch off the cigarette lighter when the car is shut off? I need to unplug my car phone every time I shut the car off, because I don't want to drain the battery. Annoying requirement. Is there a way to disable the "remain on"?

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
you have two options you can make a switch for ur cig lighter and the second have your cell phone charger hard wired so it will be always in ur car and it comes on when you turn your car on best buy charges like 25 todo the install...

·
Registered
1 Posts
The phone requires a very small amount of power. It will not kill your battery if you leave it plugged in. I've left my phone plugged in for several days without any problems. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
392 Posts
however, this is very bad for your cell phone!!! by leaving a phone plugged into a CLA (cigarette lighter adapter) you are overcharging your battery...CLAs have no way of knowing when to stop charging like home chargers do...if you use a car charger often you are gonna dramatically decrease the battery's lifetime...never start your car w/ cell phone plugged in, never charge cell phone in car more then 1 or 2 hours, and definitely dont leave in overnite...car battery is okay but cell phone battery will get ruined...Matt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts