E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Keep the Ci or buy a S/C Xi

• Keep the ci

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • Get some snow tires

Votes: 18 35.3%
  • go for the Xi

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • dumb idea

Votes: 2 3.9%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey so here is whats going on for me. i live on the mountian and of course it snowing liket a bi**h. so i barely made it home last night and i dont have snow tires which i dont want to get for no real reason. but anyway i was thinking today after driving my sisters xi would you trade in my coupe and buy a s/c Xi? the only way i would drive an xi is with the s/c because its not the quickest car and most fun to drive. i will miss my cars handling if i do it but i just wanted to hear what you guys think

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well my dad has tons of cars so i can always take one of his but i just love to drive mine :woot: its just so fun.

·
Mod Squad
10,012 Posts
Why not just get some snow tires and try it out before purchasing a whole new car? :dunno: It's not like it's that huge of an investment, a set of steelies and some snow tires.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have posted on this topic before as I went through this decision recently... The xi's problem is the suspension, if you can live that softer, higher and not at all sporty suspension, then get it. Also the xi awd is nothing like the quattro, instead of transferring power, it brakes the spinning side. Rather than powering through snow, you meekly go through and get warm brakes!

I thought it's easier to get snow tires and put some weight on the back of the ci than to get a new suspension for the xi. If you're going awd, audi/subaru have better systems. BMW's competency is rwd and sporty yet comfy suspensions. With time they may get better.

(ex-911, ex-A4)

·
Super Nintendo Chalmers
1,906 Posts
equ said:
I have posted on this topic before as I went through this decision recently... The xi's problem is the suspension, if you can live that softer, higher and not at all sporty suspension, then get it. Also the xi awd is nothing like the quattro, instead of transferring power, it brakes the spinning side. Rather than powering through snow, you meekly go through and get warm brakes!

I thought it's easier to get snow tires and put some weight on the back of the ci than to get a new suspension for the xi. If you're going awd, audi/subaru have better systems. BMW's competency is rwd and sporty yet comfy suspensions. With time they may get better.

(ex-911, ex-A4)
:werd:

·
Registered
227 Posts
surferdude013 said:
hey so here is whats going on for me. i live on the mountian and of course it snowing liket a bi**h. so i barely made it home last night and i dont have snow tires which i dont want to get for no real reason. but anyway i was thinking today after driving my sisters xi would you trade in my coupe and buy a s/c Xi? the only way i would drive an xi is with the s/c because its not the quickest car and most fun to drive. i will miss my cars handling if i do it but i just wanted to hear what you guys think
Honestly, I did the same thing and it doesn't snow in NJ as much as in UTAH. I personally feel safer in an AWD. I am sure there are many people out there that will say - just get snow tires, but I wouldn't do it. Don't get me wrong I miss my 2001 330ci and you can't compare the two cars as the CI was 1000x's more fun to drive. Compared to the ci the XI is a bit sluggish and sometimes feels like a truck (making tight turns), but that has to be expected. Anyway, I can't wait to see how it moves in the snow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts