E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Around 2 years ago, I slid off the road in my bimmer because of snowy conditions. It was just starting to snow, and I usually don't drive my BMW in the snow because its rear wheel drive. Unfortunately, the storm came at a very surprising time when I was trying to get home and sure enough, I was slipping all over the road.

I know some of the e46 fanatics on this forum have an xi with all wheel drive but my car is only a ci and I recently I've noticed how important it is to choose the appropriate snow tires according to what climate you live in. I've tried few different types of tires but I was exceptionally happy with the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 Tires as they have an amazing ability to grip in the snow. I even read a really good article that had some really good information about which winter tires got the highest rating when it comes to winter driving.

If your looking for winter tires, I'm sure you'll find the article helpful too.

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Best-Winter-Tires-in-2010

·
Registered
16 Posts
its snowing in santa fe? I live in NYC and havent seen snow yet.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Just ordered new tires yesterday. I have bald summer conti's 255/40zr18; Ordered Falken 912 all season 265/35ZR18. As luck would have it... my tires are due to arrive tomorrow or thursday and what happens? I came out to my parked car after work and I had a flat tire!!!

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Anyone have anything to say about the General's Arctic Max? Got some good reviews from tirerack
I was literally just about to ask this question, they look like a decent choice for the money, I really can't afford to be spending 600+ on tires for the winter so they're attractive at the $440 price point or whatever... I'd rather put the extra money saved towards new wheels :eeps:

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Just ordered new tires yesterday. I have bald summer conti's 255/40zr18; Ordered Falken 912 all season 265/35ZR18. As luck would have it... my tired are due to arrive tomorrow or thursday and what happens? I came out to my parked car after work and I had a flat tire!!!
What do all season tires have to do with this thread?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
What do all season tires have to do with this thread?
Well this is a thread on tires right? and I am talking about tires right? My point was to: 1. show that I rather get an all season so that I wouldnt have to get new tires for every season; and 2. The irony that my tire just couldnt wait one more day before going flat. Do you need anymore spelling things out for you?:tsk:

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Well this is a thread on tires right? and I am talking about tires right? My point was to: 1. show that I rather get an all season so that I wouldnt have to get new tires for every season; and 2. The irony that my tire just couldnt wait one more day before going flat. Do you need anymore spelling things out for you?:tsk:
Actually this thread is about SNOW tires, not all season tires, so your post is irrelevant... obviously this thread isn't for you, if you:
  1. Don't have (a desire for) snow tires.
  2. You don't live in a place that requires them.
...your story was cool though, bro.

:facepalm:

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Actually this thread is about SNOW tires, not all season tires, so your post is irrelevant... obviously this thread isn't for you, if you:
  1. Don't have (a desire for) snow tires.
  2. You don't live in a place that requires them.
...your story was cool though, bro.

:facepalm:
Umm ok... right on my man. thats for moderating the thread. good job (pat on the back)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Im on summers now. Getting brand new all seasons in january and selling my summers for good
yeah my rear summers are shot anyway. nothing wrong with all season UHP (ultra high performance). Better all around, especially in NY winters!

·
Registered
20 Posts
yeah my rear summers are shot anyway. nothing wrong with all season UHP (ultra high performance). Better all around, especially in NY winters!
That was loads of help thanks! I did not know you could use all seasons as a good SNOW/ WINTER tire, let alone that its a UHP.:thumbsup::banghead:

N89 - I agree with the price point, its the same reason I was looking into them. The trouble I'm having is my 330 will be a DD, (I know it will cause some of you great pain to read that) I live and comunte to an area with quite a bit of hills and crazy winter weather....If the tires are as good as they are in the review, im sold otherwise..its looks like blizzaks are on there way.

OP- Take a look at the generals see what you think. I don't know the climate and terrain for NM but im assuming your in the mountains and lots of snow.

BTW,I was thinking of doing blizzaks on the rear and generals in the front.

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
That was loads of help thanks! I did not know you could use all seasons as a good SNOW/ WINTER tire, let alone that its a UHP.:thumbsup::banghead:

N89 - I agree with the price point, its the same reason I was looking into them. The trouble I'm having is my 330 will be a DD, (I know it will cause some of you great pain to read that) I live and comunte to an area with quite a bit of hills and crazy winter weather....If the tires are as good as they are in the review, im sold otherwise..its looks like blizzaks are on there way.

OP- Take a look at the generals see what you think. I don't know the climate and terrain for NM but im assuming your in the mountains and lots of snow.

BTW,I was thinking of doing blizzaks on the rear and generals in the front.
Do not mix tires!!!

That being said, after my research, it seems the Generals are better in snow and especially in Ice. blizzaks seem like their also good for retaining dry road handling. I couldnt care less about dry-road handling on my snow tires, so Im getting the Generals this season :thumbup:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds good, I somewhat agree with you about the dry handling, im getting a snow tire for a reason, im not planning to whip around on my winter setup but I would like the piece of mind knowing I still have some grip on a dry road.

Why should I not mix tires, I have never heard this?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Sounds good, I somewhat agree with you about the dry handling, im getting a snow tire for a reason, im not planning to whip around on my winter setup but I would like the piece of mind knowing I still have some grip on a dry road.

cause your already mixed up!

·
Registered
7,850 Posts

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=136

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...QR7AMAXA&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Install Altimax Arctic tires in sets of four only.

Vehicles should always be equipped with equivalent tires at all wheel positions. All Altimax Arctic radials, due to their exceptional hard-packed snow and ice traction when studded, must be used in sets of four to help ensure proper vehicle control.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
You will change your mind soon enough. Those falkens can't grip jack in snow. But then it is true of the factory michelins.
How do you know? did you use them? They are the Falken 912...a new and improved version of the 512. They get 3 1/2 rating in snow, but that good enough for me; I dont plan on driving like a maniac in the snow. I go slow and cautious. Just looking not to get stuck like I did with my summer tires. Furthermore, in a real emergency, I have my MDX suv!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts