E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10,195 Posts
Good choice to stick with oem rotors

Go to Turner Motorsports site to learn that many of the staff drive BMW's personally in addition to racing and winning races.
The staff all reccommend and use Axxis Metal Masters that they sell for reasonable money.
I've had them for 45K miles now. They wear well, don't make noise, have great initial bite, and leave my M68's much cleaner than oem pads.

·
Registered
10,195 Posts
Well now I am even more unsure. Everyone has different opinions!

so far thinking performance friction z rated and EBC Green Stuff
I think it's a simple interpretation; everyone's solution is correct. You could follow what anyone here has done and end up with a solid set of brakes.
Pick one and do it.

·
Registered
10,195 Posts
Also, another reason you might get fade is if you haven't changed brake fluid in a while. Brake fluid is hydrophilic...water loving (calm down California...you misread that word!)...so if you get water or air in the line, as the brakes heat up, you'd have air pushing the piston, not brake fluid.
Hygroscopic not hydrophilic
Moisture from the air contaminates the brake fluid then boils at operating brake temperatures, creates steam and becomes a compressible fluid creating a spongy brake pedal feel. Flush your fluid frequently to maintain a firm pedal feel and prevent internal rusting of caliper pistons and cylinders.

·
Registered
10,195 Posts
When you first installed the greenstuff did you have some squealing for a bit? I installed mine about a week ago and have done the bed in procedure twice plus a few extra 60-10 stops and they still make a bit of noise at lower speeds and light braking with the shims and anti-noise grease.
Did you replace your rotors with this brake job?
Did you use the anti-squeal compound on the back of the pad plates? I see you said grease, but I used the sticky compound that gets hard but stays gummy.
I used Axxis Metal Master pads from Turner Motorsports and haven't had one single squeak in the 50K miles since.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.