BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so i posted another thread but alot of people were getting confused so here's the new one..
i have an '02 330Ci. She has been my daily driver for almost 3 years now. i recently got another daily driver and i want to park her in my garage and make her my project car. Options I'm NOW considering are.. Option 1: drop the motor out and rebuild it from the pan up & 6 speed tranny so later down the road after I get her running stronger N/A for a while eventually s/c it... Option 2: drop the motor & tranny and swap for S54 & tranny.. Both options i would be going with either 3.64 or 3.73 rear end..

M54 has 5 speed tranny now & 140,000 miles..
im not rebuilding her due to mileage or anything.. i jus want a stronger, more powerful motor that way if i do keep it i can later down the road s/c it..

i was thinkin since im takin the motor out to rebuild it why not swap it since tranny gets replaced with 6 speed anyways? :dunno:

main goal is more power reguardless.. FI gives the power but the reliability isnt there as it would be with the S54.. so in a way its kinda N/A or FI but on different motors...

Opinions from all are welcome!
Advice, difficulties, more info for each one would be greaty appreciated also..

Thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This isn't something that's going to be done next month.. Its a starting project. I give it a year.. Two at the most and I plan to have it running again.. Either rebuilt or new motor one..

·
Sienna Red Coupe
6,731 Posts
If you're prepared to have your car sitting for a year or two, why not go S54? Seems like a lot of work just to get the car back on the road and have it drive exactly the same.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry left out that I was going to maybe bore and/or stroke it.. Port/polish cylinder head also..

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I just don't see the point in doing an s54 swap on anything besides a sedan or wagon. Vert and coupe both came in an m3, it just seems silly to do a swap which will probably end up costing more and end up with a worse car than an m3.

·
Registered
871 Posts
here is the best way to do an s54 swap... i gave it a lot of though

first off you buy one of these http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch.html?_eventId=getLot&execution=e1s3&lotId=13627061&returnPage=SEARCH_RESULTS
maybe one that is a bit more damaged, maybe rolled over

2nd park the two e46s side by side make sure you have the keys to the damaged e46

rip your 330 apart till your down to the chassy and the doors, remove the entire wiring harness

take the M3 and pull the engine transmition and rear end, and install on the M3, the do the same with the wiring harness/ locks/ecu/ headlight switch module/speedometer module etc.

you will get an M3 in an non M3 skin.
then buy a csl intake and exhaust and some headers.

you will end up with a car that sounds like sure vergin loosing her virginity and i will get a bonner every-time you drive by:thumbsup:

and you will cry based on the amount of money you spent on the swap, when you could have just bought an e46 m3 and had a few beers instead

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anybody wanna give some specifics on what all would have to be swapped besides the obvious like ECU, harness, tranny, diff, driveshaft, etc.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Totally jus saw this ha. computer didn't refresh.. Well with the way this sounds I prolly will jus tear the M54 down and build it for the supercharger.. Lower compression pistons, port/polish cylinder heads, etc. Then put it back together and save for the AA s/c system.. Thanks anyways guys!
here is the best way to do an s54 swap... i gave it a lot of though

first off you buy one of these http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch.html?_eventId=getLot&execution=e1s3&lotId=13627061&returnPage=SEARCH_RESULTS
maybe one that is a bit more damaged, maybe rolled over

2nd park the two e46s side by side make sure you have the keys to the damaged e46

rip your 330 apart till your down to the chassy and the doors, remove the entire wiring harness

take the M3 and pull the engine transmition and rear end, and install on the M3, the do the same with the wiring harness/ locks/ecu/ headlight switch module/speedometer module etc.

you will get an M3 in an non M3 skin.
then buy a csl intake and exhaust and some headers.

you will end up with a car that sounds like sure vergin loosing her virginity and i will get a bonner every-time you drive by:thumbsup:

and you will cry based on the amount of money you spent on the swap, when you could have just bought an e46 m3 and had a few beers instead

1 - 11 of 11 Posts