Votes: 8 22.9%
  • other (please specify in post)

Votes: 3 8.6%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
26,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I'm looking at a suspension upgrade before spring :)

As of right now I am considering two things:

1) NEW H&R Cupkit w/ fixed camber plates and new RSM

or

2) USED H&R Coilovers (#29480-2) with 8000k miles one them w/ fixed camber plates and new RSMs

now, what do you think?

FYI, I dont track the car or anything...and I dont want to drop it all the way cause of the roads and w/n around here. I just want to lower the gap a little bit.

Thanks you guys.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
You didn't mention it, but I presume the cost is about the same for both options?

If cost is not an factor, then I'd recommend the coilovers. The forward rake on the cup kit is already pretty big and with the slightly more forward weight distribution of the 323's this will be even bigger. In the end, I think you will end up with the car much lower in the front than it sounds like you want it to be. With the coilovers, you won't have that issue and will be able to set the height where you want.

Outside of the options you listed, there's lots of good choices out there for cup-kit type products. For example, here's my write up on the Vogtland kit - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=404376 - Eibach and Koni also have nice packages.

·
Registered
26,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You didn't mention it, but I presume the cost is about the same for both options?

If cost is not an factor, then I'd recommend the coilovers. The forward rake on the cup kit is already pretty big and with the slightly more forward weight distribution of the 323's this will be even bigger. In the end, I think you will end up with the car much lower in the front than it sounds like you want it to be. With the coilovers, you won't have that issue and will be able to set the height where you want.

Outside of the options you listed, there's lots of good choices out there for cup-kit type products. For example, here's my write up on the Vogtland kit - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=404376 - Eibach and Koni also have nice packages.

yeah, similar pricing...

the only thing holding me back really is the fact that the coilovers are used. IMO, when I comes to suspension I want to make sure things are up to par.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I personally wouldn't go with used on such an important component. Therefore my vote went to the cupkit. Keep us updated on what transpires.

·
Registered
26,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I personally wouldn't go with used on such an important component. Therefore my vote went to the cupkit. Keep us updated on what transpires.
yeah, thats what I am thinking...

Will do...:thumbsup:

·
1.888.JLEVISW
29,545 Posts
I always prefer new over used. Especially when it comes to suspension. I am sure you can find a great deal out there but you just never know how that suspension was treated. Furthermore you get no warranty or guarantee on the quality and durability of a used set.

With that said, we have both the H&R Cupkit and Coilovers up on our site. One other determining factor is how much you REALLY need the coils. Is it just for peace of mind so you can dial in the right settings? If you don't plan on adjusting your ride height or dampening settings often, it might not be worth it to spend the extra for a coilover kit.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
As far as shocks go, 8k is a pretty insignificant amount of mileage. 80k would be a different story, and 8000k would be downright miraculous.

Assuming the shocks are undamaged, have been subject to only normal use, and are in otherwise good condition, there's no reason to be reject them based merely on the fact they are used. After all, if you bought a used car with only 8k miles, you certainly wouldn't consider replacing the shocks for fear of them being worn out.

Of course as Nick points out, if you buy new you do not have to make the above assumption, and that is certainly worth something. How much it is worth to you in terms of $$ is something only you can decide.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I would go with the cup kit..mainly because it is new...but anyways what is the difference between the cup kit and coilovers....I figure coilovers are better because they are 400-500$ more...But why?

·
Registered
64 Posts
IMO I would go with Bilstein Coilovers. The H&R's in my opinion are too stiff, where as Bilsteins 9 way dampeners make the adjustability of the ride great. I have mine lowered all the way down and the dampeners are on 6 and I feel that it rides better than the stock ZHP suspension. I like H&R and believe that they are set up more for racing where the Bilsteins can be used for both. Now of course they are going to be more expensive. That is my opinion though. Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
26,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
IMO I would go with Bilstein Coilovers. The H&R's in my opinion are too stiff, where as Bilsteins 9 way dampeners make the adjustability of the ride great. I have mine lowered all the way down and the dampeners are on 6 and I feel that it rides better than the stock ZHP suspension. I like H&R and believe that they are set up more for racing where the Bilsteins can be used for both. Now of course they are going to be more expensive. That is my opinion though. Good luck with whatever you choose.
find me a set for 700.... :rofl:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts