E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm due for an oil change in the next couple thousand km however my oil light (orange) came on today on the way to work. I have about an hours drive to and from work and about 10 minutes before I arrived at my destination the light turned back off. I'm experiencing a rough idle (plenty of reading about the CCV) so I figured that may be also causing these symptoms but I wanted to get the internets opinion before walking in to the dealership blind.

I'm likely going to take it in right after work and get a change as well as a flush if anyone thinks that's recommended.

Heres a picture of the chocolate sludge

I hope I'm not overreacting but I'm starting to freak out. All advice is very welcome so thank you in advance.

·
Registered
746 Posts
My oil cap is pretty similar as far as looks. I'm pretty positive I'm still on the original CCV at 138k if that helps you feel better at all.. I figure SOME sludge is common as these cars age.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My oil cap is pretty similar as far as looks. I'm pretty positive I'm still on the original CCV at 138k if that helps you feel better at all.. I figure SOME sludge is common as these cars age.
is that 130Km or miles? That does put my mind at ease slightly. I put the remainder of some 5w30 synthetic in it and the light has been off for over 100km. Still not quite sure where to start. I guess oil change would be a good beginning.

·
Registered
746 Posts
That's miles. Any major oil leaks? Especially from the VCG? SOMETIMES a leaky VCG can suck air and I've seen it cause oil to do weird things.

CCV is very closely related to the valve cover so if that's completely shot then I could see that being part of the problem too.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sorry excuse my ignorance, what does VCG stand for? I moved from a TDI so I'm re-learning the terminology for gas engines.

Thanks, and thanks for your help :)

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
I'm likely going to take it in right after work and get a change as well as a flush if anyone thinks that's recommended.
The short answer is no, especially at a "quick lube" type shop.

Option 1

I would suggest using an oil with great cleaning properties such as Mobil 1 0W-40 or Pennzoil Ultra European 5W-40. 6K mile oil change intervals with plenty of long trips to get the oil hot. At 5K miles, add a can of Seafoam to the crankcase and drive it hard. Repeat the process for the next few oil changes.

Option 2

Look up a product called AutoRx Plus. It's used with conventional oil and will slowly and safely clean out your engine.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Any particular reason? Do they not do a very good job?

I'll definitely look up both option 1 & 2 though thank you.
No problem. It certainly looks treatable so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

As for the the flushing machines, the issue is that they forcefully try and clean out sludge/buildup, which in many cases will grenade your engine or transmission.

Here's some more info on it: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1529635

Plus, I've heard too many horror stories about "quick lube" type places. Stripped drain plugs, forgot to replace the filter, broke the housing, etc. Just run a Google search for "Jiffy Lube" and "problems" and you'd be surprised with the kind of idiotic crap that will come up.

Not worth the headache, IMO. Do it yourself. If you don't have a garage, then just grab a fluid extractor and a 36mm socket. :thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts