BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Network Analyst
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to install a CD changer but I don't want to pay the extra expense for a feature I'll probably end up not using (playing MP3s).

On Crutchfield.com they have a package that consists of the
following:

Alpine CHM-S630 $229.99
Blitzsafe BMW/ALP DMXV.1 96-up $79.99
$289.98 (package discounted).

That seems a lot less than an OEM CD changer ($400+ on Pacific BMW )or the CHA-S634 with the appropriate adapters ($400+ as well)

By the looks of it I'll probably end up getting the S630 package from Crutchfield.

My question is if anyone knows of any problems using these two items in our E46s? I have the HK system.

I've heard of problems using either the Soundgate or Blitzsafe adapter with the CHA-S634 (up down buttons acting funny, etc...). Anything like this with the CHM-S630 and the Blitzsafe adapter?

Thanks,

dave

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just installed a 634 with a blitzsafe adapter this afternoon. It's a little slow in track changing (they might need to speed up the microcontrollers on the blitz..pretty much it translates M-BUS to I-BUS and vice-versa) but it works and sounds fine.

I did run into an initial issue when I first installed it. Blitzsafe supplied instructions on what to do..follow them.

You have to :
1. Make sure the head unit is set to either FM or AM.
2. Turn it off the head unit.
3. Turn the ignition key to the on position.
4. Turn on the head unit...radio should be on.
5. hit mode until you get CD1-01 on the screen.
6. Wait about 5 seconds and the music should start playing.

I would suggest you load up the magazine of the changer too. It makes this inital setup faster.

I just burned an MP3 CD with about 70 songs and tried it out.. It's actually pretty cool, the only thing that I saw was that there isn't a way to do direct access to the tracks on the MP3 CD. You have to get to a song sequentially :banghead:

Hope this helps..

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
2,354 Posts
Thats pretty tight....

My mom's Volvo has a 10-disc changer in the trunk that she never uses, because she's also got the in-dash CD player. I think the changer is made by Pioneer...is there any way I could wire her 10-disc changer to my BMW, or would I have to stick with a 6-disc changer that is specifically compatible with BMWs? :huh:

·
hammer talks like this
4,292 Posts
how old is her volvo. probably wont work. cause if its an oem changer form volvo, made by pioneer, the plug will be different.

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
2,354 Posts
bender said:
how old is her volvo. probably wont work. cause if its an oem changer form volvo, made by pioneer, the plug will be different.
Its a 2002 S80...its the OEM changer, but its made by Pioneer, I think. I couldn't just get an adapter or something for it? And would I be able to use a 10-disc changer rather than only a 6-disc changer anyway?

·
hammer talks like this
4,292 Posts
shouldnt work... when i worked at my audio shop a lot of ppl wanted to do just that... take oem changers out of a car and put it in another car. wont work because the plugs a truely different on the end. and they do not make any adapters. and theres no way you can splice them. on FORDs we found away to do something like this... anyway the bmw can only except pioneer 6 and 12 disc according to the adapters(BMWPILA)

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
2,354 Posts
bender said:
anyway the bmw can only except pioneer 6 and 12 disc according to the adapters(BMWPILA)
So I would be able to have a changer that holds more than 6 discs? How would I be able to get to the CDs past #6, considering there's only buttons 1-6 on the radio?

·
hammer talks like this
4,292 Posts
never experienced it in an e46. in VW's you hit the buttons twice. for some cars it sucks and you can have a 12 disc changer but got listen to the whole cd before it goes to the next(thats after the 6 disc of course)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Commander FAT - Don't buy from Crutchfields. You're paying way too much. I paid $249 for my S634....and why would playing mp3s be a wasted feature? It's something you really should look into. Even if you don't have mp3s, creating mp3s of your own albums increases the capacity of your cd changer 10 fold. Instead of six albums in your changer you could have 60. Or 20 at super high 320kbps rate.

Check out autotoys.com, I think I ended up buying from logjamelectronics.com though. I just checked and they've got the s630 for $189.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts