BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have an '03 325it and I'm hearing a chirping type sound when I step on the gas. Sounds like the chirp is coming from around the intake/intake manifold but I can't locate it. Only chirps when I first hit the accelerator but constant acceleration will not cause any sound.

The first thing I checked was the belts and pulleys but I just replaced belts w/in 100 miles and there is no fluid in the area. Also checked the intake boot and felt around for vacuum leaks but didn't see anything abnormal.
Could this be an ICV or some diaphragm issue? I read about tears in the intake boot but that seems like more of a whistle than a quick/loud chirp.

I've worked on a few e36 engines but this is my first m54 so I'm not as familiar.
Has anyone had this problem before? I tried searching but did not find anything similar. Appreciate any help.

·
Premium Member
2001 BMW 330XI
106 Posts
Most likely a vacuum issue. Sometimes just feeling around the engine bay won't be a sufficient way of locating it. Could also be a bad throttle body gasket, or TB needs to be cleaned. I'm no expert, but that's where I'd start.

·
Premium Member
2000 328i MT
336 Posts
Check your engine air filter housing mounting bolts. They can chirp under your conditions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts