E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an e46 convertible and now need a "convertible" seat for my son. I've been using the Graco snug-ride rear-facing seat in the back (sure the front seat has to go pretty far fwd but it's not too bad). Anyhow, it's time for the next type of seat (not booster), for kids 20-40lbs. It'll rear face. Anyone have any recommendations? I've searched the archives but found nothing for convertibles.

·
Registered
0 Posts
323 roadster said:
I've got an e46 convertible and now need a "convertible" seat for my son. I've been using the Graco snug-ride rear-facing seat in the back (sure the front seat has to go pretty far fwd but it's not too bad). Anyhow, it's time for the next type of seat (not booster), for kids 20-40lbs. It'll rear face. Anyone have any recommendations? I've searched the archives but found nothing for convertibles.
How old is your child?

I have a 20 month old and I use the Eddie Bauer (made by Graco), front facing. And he loves riding in the car with the top down.

·
Flex UK Style
2,549 Posts
We struggled REALLY badly to find a rearward facing seat for the vert. In fact, impossible. In the UK, we don't get the "first size" seats so we had to get an all encompassing 0-201lb seat and no matter how far forward we put the front passenger seat the baby seat just didn't fit.

However, we've recently bought a Bebe Comfort Iseos TT

REALLY good seat, it's for 9months to 4 years with removable pads to grow with the baby. It's a forward facer, but it fits in the cab and the family wagon and is attached solidly to the car by the seatbelt. It also has a tilt function so your baby can recline etc. Can't recommend highly enough, my wife spent 2 months researching and this really was the best on the market. Hopefully it's available in the US

·
Registered
81 Posts
BMW makes a child sit for the E46. You will have to install the ISOFIX but it is the best seat avalible. With the seat you can use the lap belt that comes with the seat or the seat belt with the car. I don't have the part numbers right now but I know that it costs about $450 for everything.

·
Flex UK Style
2,549 Posts
einfahrt, we looked at the bmw seat and it was really badly designed. The seat itself is a single moulded piece of foam with no additional padding, there is a foam piece which goes over the legs of the child and it's all held in place by a seatbelt. For a baby that has no means of supporting itself, there is a HUGE danger of the baby slipping under the lap cushion. A baby really needs the equivalent of a racing harness to ensure that the body doesn't fly forward AT ALL in any impact and they're strapped in nice and snug. The BMW seat just doesn't offer that. During the research, the wife looked at a number of magzines and internet sites and even though the BMW seat was tested, it was one of the lowest rated for the age group we were looking at.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies

My son is 6 months and must rear-face for the next 6 months. As for the BMW seat, I'm not sure that they meet US specs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi there Bigfas,
Long time since your post (came up on forum search)
Just wanting to confirm that the ISEOS fits in the back of the E46 vert ok - Just bought a 330 Sport Vert and found our existing Britax seat didn't fit (wouldn't go under rear head restraints and was too far forward for the front seat to have any space.)
I've seen so much conflicting advice, so just want to find an owner with a model who can assure me its a good fit and I'll go buy.
cheers,
Ali

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am facing the same problem needing a forward facing seat for our 18 months old son. Anyone can help?
Our current seat fit great into our E30 convertible, but the e46 ... no way.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Just picked up an 04 330 vert. I've got two kids (one in a booster and one in a regular forward-facing seat). I know what you guys mean. They don't fit so well. What booster seats fit better in there? The one in the full seat will be in a booster before long.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Holy thread revival :yikes: I think his kid is in college now.....:rofl:

·
Registered
64 Posts
For those still looking, Sunshine Kids makes a car seat that is really low profile, made for kids up to 33 pounds rear facing and 65 pounds forward facing. I would imagine, although I have not tried it personally, that it would fit in there. I have a friend that has one, and it is very snug and well made, but much smaller than my Graco. Here is a link for the seat : http://sunshinekidsbaby.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BY3204

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
647 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
I am using a Recaro Start booster seat. I did a lot of research at the time and narrowed it down to this model. It is a bit expensive (retail: $350) but it is the only model (that I know of) that has aluminum frame. The other features (adjustable height, adjustable boasters, adjustable angle, ambidextrous lockable seat belt guide, top tether mount, built in speakers, removable microfiber cover) are a nice bonus. It also doesn't hurt that it looks great.

Here are a few videos showing Recaro Start (no affiliation with the company, I didn't buy mine from them):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi3jI3-Qclo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PmFzk8aQTk

There are a number of colors available along with choices of mash and microfiber accents:

Here it is installed in my car:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I and my DW are looking for car seat for our coming baby.Convertible car seat sound like a good idea, but some of my friends told me it is not safe enough for Newborn baby.Anyone has suggestions?
And what brand of car seat is the best?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I carry two kids with mine everyday since I bought it a few days ago. I will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

The wonderful side of the story for the older kids requiring booster, they do not really need a booster seat in my car. WHY? Main reason for a booster for older kids is that the strap does go through their neck instead of shoulder area. So, the kids are raised a little for that purpose. In my car, there is a location in the middle where you can attach the seat belt and it just fits my 7-year-old wonderfully.

My son is 3 years old and I still use this 20-60lbs Britax with metal frame with it. I move the front seat a little but otherwise it works great. Of course, I have to admit that I haven't tried carrying a passenger in front seat. I know that it would not be fun to do that for longer drives.

Kids are happy and I am happy! :)

barishik

1 - 20 of 21 Posts