BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey
I always am runnin into bullshit mechanics that try to jerk me off just because I'm a chick but little do they know I have some auto mechanic experience but now here are my questions.... 1.Do I really ALWAYS need to go to BMW to buy parts? 2. My coolant keeps leaking and every other day I have to put more but it's not showing up on the ground what could be wrong? 3. Is there any where in west Palm Beach Florida that would help me work on my car? 4.where is a legit site to buy the Android 4.4.4 radio I don't want I make this to long but I have lots of questions

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Welcome! Here are the answers to your questions:

1. No. Try ECS Tuning, FCP Euro, BavAuto, or any other of this site's sponsors for parts. Use RealOEM.com to look up the correct part numbers for your car.

2. Could be a slow leak that it getting blown away when you drive (hopefully). Worst case is a blown head gasket that sucks coolant into the engine and burns it.

3. I'm sure there are Fanatics there that can help or we all here will help via the inter webs.

4. I don't know what that is.

:hi:

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Hey
I always am runnin into bullshit mechanics that try to jerk me off just because I'm a chick but little do they know I have some auto mechanic experience but now here are my questions.... 1.Do I really ALWAYS need to go to BMW to buy parts? 2. My coolant keeps leaking and every other day I have to put more but it's not showing up on the ground what could be wrong? 3. Is there any where in west Palm Beach Florida that would help me work on my car? 4.where is a legit site to buy the Android 4.4.4 radio I don't want I make this to long but I have lots of questions

I'll deal with one & two.

1) NO. They're many places to buy both OE & Non-OE parts that work great. If there's a question as to "parts" quality, just post up that part & question.

2) Your coolant disappearing is worrisome, I would Seriously look into this coolant problem before you move forward with anything else.

Rob43

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well to answer your coolant question, what color is your coolant blue or green?
Blue is the expensive BMW coolant, that many swear by. But if it's green you can buy coolant from anywhere.

Is your coolant light coming on every few days? A coolant leak on these cars is not good. Sounds like your cooling system may be over due for an over haul.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay let me give you some back story bought the car 2 hand everything was great then realized the coolant want disappearing so I decided to go to auto zone and get a free read and also because shortly after buying engine light came on soi when I did that it said something about theromastat, bank 1 cylinder 1 cylinder 1 bank 2 something like oxygen sensors is pretty much as far as I know and my fuel being too lean now I went and bought tires today ( can you tell me if these are correct for my car 225/

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not everything has to come from bmw. I only get certain parts from there where I feel like it's best to than having to deal with aftermarket parts that may work.

You can also try pelicanparts or autohasaz.

The only euro place I've seen in palm beach is a shop on military and okeechobee. North of military across the street from the advance auto parts. Never had any work done from them since I work at Arrigo and do my own work. But I drove by and they had a few BMW's in there even a really nice and mint M3 with lots of work done to it..

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
225/45r17 front end
245/40r17 back end
And when I went there I seen water coming out of the front end look like it was coming out of the coolant reservoir so I asked them to check and they said it was cracked on top could that be why it is disappearing and yes to JFM330i when I bought it it was green and yes it comes on every few days but just today it actually overheated and when into the red zone

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Okay let me give you some back story bought the car 2 hand everything was great then realized the coolant want disappearing so I decided to go to auto zone and get a free read and also because shortly after buying engine light came on soi when I did that it said something about theromastat, bank 1 cylinder 1 cylinder 1 bank 2 something like oxygen sensors is pretty much as far as I know and my fuel being too lean now I went and bought tires today ( can you tell me if these are correct for my car 225/
Whether you fix it yourself or someone else does take care of that coolant loss/leak first!

If you lose too much coolant at any one time the engine will over heat and warp. Not trying to scare you but definitely check the coolant level EVERY time before you drive.

·
Because Race...Convertible?
Turbo ZHP Convertible
2,837 Posts
How to get overwhelming amounts of attention on any car forum: Clearly state you are a girl. Lol. Hope you fix your coolant problem. Assuming its expansion tank or upper rad hose.

·
Registered
146 Posts
YEP....an over heat on these cars is no good. Hopefully it didn't do any damage to the head gasket. The coolant overflow tank needs to be replaced ASAP!!! Do not drive the car anymore.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
YEP....an over heat on these cars is no good. Hopefully it didn't do any damage to the head gasket. The coolant overflow tank needs to be replaced ASAP!!! Do not drive the car anymore.

Okay I won't and I found a coolant reservoir at advanced auto but didn't know if it was okay to use because mechanic I went to said go to BMW ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1458096599.498842.jpg

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
OP, how long have you actually owned this E46 ?

Rob43

·
Registered
146 Posts
OEM replacement parts are OK to use. Yes using genuine BMW parts is ideal BUT, I would use that Behr one.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I bought a five star rated aftermarket expansion tank and it wouldn't even snap into place. The oem one snapped in and out with no issue.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts