E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my CCV and all the hoses on Friday, went out to test drive the car and everything was great! No more burning oil and it really felt like I had a little of the power back. The next day I decided to enjoy my "New" car feel by heading out to the beach for the day. I made it 3/4 of the way there and the RED oil light slapped me in the face! I had a heart attack by the sound of the lifters TAPPING loud as hell under my hood. I immediately shut the car off and called for the wrecker. I REALLY thought my engine was done for and that my CCV job had failed... badly :eek: . After I finally got home I hit the forums for an answer on how in the hell I lost complete oil pressure in the middle of the high way and came across all of the Oil Pump Nut failure threads. Well, turns out that is EXACTLY what happened. I tore into the Oil Pan and as soon as I broke the pan loose the nut fell onto the driveway! Putting everything back together tomorrow. Checked the rod bearings and the cams and everything LOOKS good, still had lots of oil on the top end, but I guess I'll know after it is all back together. I can say the motor looks GREAT inside for having 165,000 miles, not one bit of sludge at all, just a nice golden oily brown. Hopefully I caught it in time... Wish I would have heard of this problem before it failed! This could be a very expensive little nut :banghead:

·
Registered
29,664 Posts
Yikes that's scary. Still have to do mine. dreading dropping the subframe. Did you drop the whole suspension down? or had a shop do it?

Do you track your car? any mods? tell us about your driving habits. trying to get a feel for what cars this is occurring to. I know it happened to Tim330i's new 330 back in the day. How'd you secure it? wire tie? loctite? weld?

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Yikes that's scary. Still have to do mine. dreading dropping the subframe. Did you drop the whole suspension down? or had a shop do it?

Do you track your car? any mods? tell us about your driving habits. trying to get a feel for what cars this is occurring to. I know it happened to Tim330i's new 330 back in the day. How'd you secure it? wire tie? loctite? weld?
I Think it would be silly to weld on the nut, Locktight and a proper tourque should keep it from falling off again.

I am going to be buying the kit from turner soon

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm doing it myself. I was really dreading dropping the subframe as well, but it wasn't bad at all. Only engine mod I have is headers really. Have a 3.46 rear end, suspension, and other stuff, but nothing really to do with the engine itself. I drive the car pretty hard though and have since I got it about 5 years ago. I secured it with Red Loctite AND Wire, although I haven't buttoned it up yet and am not sure if the wire will stay :D

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I'm doing it myself. I was really dreading dropping the subframe as well, but it wasn't bad at all. Only engine mod I have is headers really. Have a 3.46 rear end, suspension, and other stuff, but nothing really to do with the engine itself. I drive the car pretty hard though and have since I got it about 5 years ago. I secured it with Red Loctite AND Wire, although I haven't buttoned it up yet and am not sure if the wire will stay :D
That should be alright, Make sure your torqued it to the correct spec as well

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you think it is worth it for me to go to BMW for a ZHP nut instead of just using the Red Loctite and wire? Seems if it is just threadlocker that is the difference I should be fine with what I have but if the design itself is different I'd hate to put this all back together and regret not getting the right one :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
324 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
I was worried also about dropping the subframe but it was no big deal, esp since I was doing control arms. Also a good time to do motor mounts. Get the bolts you need to replace before hand, dealers here in San Diego did not carry them, I got mine from ECS.
Also check to make sure your torque wrench works in reverse for the oil pump nut, most new ones don't.

·
Registered
29,664 Posts
Nice. wll do mine this summer. And no this is only a problem on S52B32 and M54B30 engines due to the harmonics of the crankshaft/damper. Basically at 6k RPM, the crankshaft is vibrating the nut off. And yes no sh!t welding isn't the best option, I was just asking the OP what method he used. :-D

·
Registered
324 Posts
Nice. wll do mine this summer. And no this is only a problem on S52B32 and M54B30 engines due to the harmonics of the crankshaft/damper. Basically at 6k RPM, the crankshaft is vibrating the nut off. And yes no sh!t welding isn't the best option, I was just asking the OP what method he used. :-D
Is that 2nd sentence in reference to my question? Isn't the ZHP's engine known as a M54B30 as well?

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Everyone is referring to this as a "nut" however, that is a bolt.
Uh, no, the part used to secure the sprocket to the end of the oil pump shaft is most definitely a nut. BMW's own description of the part: "Hex nut M10X1-LH".

Since you seem confused, here's a refresher:

Definition of BOLT
4: a metal rod or pin for fastening objects together that usually has a head at one end and a screw thread at the other and is secured by a nut

Definition of NUT
3: a perforated block usually of metal that has an internal screw thread and is used on a bolt or screw for tightening or holding something

1 - 20 of 126 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.