E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not yet installed, going to start this weekend, here are the pieces:
- A/D/S P650.2 50x6 amp
- A/D/S 345is comp speaker set
- Kicker 6x9 free air subs

Car: 2002 330ci w/ HK

I am going with this setup as its fits right into the stock locations with no mods. The amp accepts diff outputs from the amp with no converter. I know the kickers may not kick too hard with 6x9 and 50 watts, but I dont want to loose any trunk space.

Also, my entire hk system (amp and speakers) will be availible soon if anyone desires or needs one. Thanks to everyone on this board for all there help. Many thanks to William over on roadfly, could not have dont this without him.

Please reply and suggestions you have on ANYTHING!!!!
also, is it best to angle mount the tweets toward the driver, or just flush mount????

You guys on this board ROCK!
- Josh

Attachments

·
modder fokker
6,808 Posts
It should improve a lot. Thats not difficult because hk absolutly sucks. I dont even think you get it sold. NObody want to pay for that low qualety system.

You should be able to get a nice mid bass now in the car. DOnt know about the woofer. Bmw by nature is a very difficult car to have a lot of bass in the cabin

·
modder fokker
6,808 Posts
tweets: loose the mounts. Just put the tweeter itself in the mirror housing if you have a sedan. There is faom in there. WIth some tape it should fit with no prob.

dont put a lot of power on the rear fill. SOund is best when it comes from the front

·
Registered
451 Posts
Can I just replace the H/K speakers in the door sail plates? What size do they take?

Fortunately with a CPO car - it already came with the H/K System.

·
Registered
451 Posts
That as well. I want to put JL Stealth's in the back. I'm not looking for Ghettoblaster bass, but just some better rear-fill. Is it possible to mount a small am upside down on the rear shelf area?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Tweeters

I re did my system and the shop disconnected the little mids (they were causing image problems believe it or not) and that left me with JL tweets in the stock locations aiming outward and the 6.5 mid bass. I had to use a PPI phase shifter (time alignment device) to get the image right, but it was still close with the tweets firing out.
I have heard aim the left towards the pax and the right towards you - I have also heard of guys having luck with aiming them both toward the center windshield...but you have to toy with those more. Take out that mid tweet pod in the door and use a backstrap that you can bend to aim it and listen. Thats what I did in my last car and after 2 hours I got it!

·
yo mama
1,566 Posts
I think its such a pity that HK owners are replacing thier 6x9 woofers & sub amps with kickers... that is just disgraceful on BMW's part.. and a waste of money for us buyers... what was that option? $400.00? :confused:

sorry to hear, but im glad I didnt buy it!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Nope - my option was FREEEEEE - came with the CPO car ;-) What is not generally understood is that the H/K system is not a superior high end stereo. it's the same quality of the Bose stereo in Audis (Bose? is that right?) It's a $400-$600 solution. Nothing is going to compare to high end aftermarket audio. Regardless of the branding, the speakers are still made with paper cones. At least they gave us the optional two holes in the rear deck for different subs ;-)

·
yo mama
1,566 Posts
Jeremy152 said:
Nope - my option was FREEEEEE - came with the CPO car ;-) What is not generally understood is that the H/K system is not a superior high end stereo. it's the same quality of the Bose stereo in Audis (Bose? is that right?) It's a $400-$600 solution. Nothing is going to compare to high end aftermarket audio. Regardless of the branding, the speakers are still made with paper cones. At least they gave us the optional two holes in the rear deck for different subs ;-)
That option is not "FREE" its still added into the cost of your used car. I dont really understand what you mean by, the HK is not supposed to be a high end stereo. The Bose & Monsoon & Mach systems I have heard in other cars BLOW the HK away. The HK is supposed to be a high end system, just like bose is to audi, acura, etc.. Nakamichi was to Lexus & now Mark Levinson is... etc.. its just that it sucks.

$400-$600 option for a car stereo is a lot of money for the average person who would not even think of aftermarket.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'm referring to the fact that it's not high end as in a full on MB Quart solution with Eclipse processors and DVD player. The Harmon Kardon 'upgrade' is exactly that - an upgrade. It's not supposed to handle the Techno/Hip-Hop/Drum N Bass that I'm sure quite a number of people are looking for it to handle. It's a decent system, don't get me wrong. The imaging is superb and the low end fill is satisfactory. You'll just never achieve the quality that you might be able to with an aftermarket system.

·
yo mama
1,566 Posts
Jeremy152 said:
I'm referring to the fact that it's not high end as in a full on MB Quart solution with Eclipse processors and DVD player. The Harmon Kardon 'upgrade' is exactly that - an upgrade. It's not supposed to handle the Techno/Hip-Hop/Drum N Bass that I'm sure quite a number of people are looking for it to handle. It's a decent system, don't get me wrong. The imaging is superb and the low end fill is satisfactory. You'll just never achieve the quality that you might be able to with an aftermarket system.
I definately agree w/ you. but its too bad that they could not have made it better. For $400-$600, other Premium sound packages blow the HK away. My Mach 460 system is probably as good as a HK system with the kicker 6x9's and amp. My old nakamichi system was beautiful, best in SQ.. and those are both stock systems. BMW should ditch HK. Or at least improve it, I think they are ripping off customers who order it.

·
yo mama
1,566 Posts
Jeremy152 said:
That as well. I want to put JL Stealth's in the back. I'm not looking for Ghettoblaster bass, but just some better rear-fill. Is it possible to mount a small am upside down on the rear shelf area?
Yes you can mount your amp there. plenty of room.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Awesome! Since I've got the HK amp and subs, I can just rip those out and replace them with the new amp and Stealths. Any issues with the stock HK Amp wiring to the new amp?

·
yo mama
1,566 Posts
Jeremy152 said:
Awesome! Since I've got the HK amp and subs, I can just rip those out and replace them with the new amp and Stealths. Any issues with the stock HK Amp wiring to the new amp?
you need a hi/low converter to get the RCA inputs for your new amp.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts