E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine light came on today and when I checked, I had two codes.

P0102 Mass Air Flow Circuit Low Input
I cleaned my sensor with some Mass Air Flow sensor cleaner after I saw that one. Seems to be running smoothly but time will tell.

P0741 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuff Off
I looked this one up and it looks like I might have to replace my torque converter and more importantly the pressure regulator.

BMW E46 How To Fix P0741 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance

BMW E46 ZF 5HP19 Auto Transmission Pressure Regulator Fix DIY

Thoughts?
Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant Photo caption Brand

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cleaning it its just a waste of time, I would try another maf
First I'll see if it helped or not. If it didn't, then I'll start looking for another one.

·
Registered
2002 330ci auto
158 Posts
First I'll see if it helped or not. If it didn't, then I'll start looking for another one.
Yeah it's worth cleaning it and seeing, also check your air filter etc.
For the torque converter clutch, first step is always a fluid and filter change. Clear the code and see if it comes back, also check when you're driving, is the torque converter locking up?

see post #3 here ZF 5HP19 not locking up

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it's worth cleaning it and seeing, also check your air filter etc.
For the torque converter clutch, first step is always a fluid and filter change. Clear the code and see if it comes back, also check when you're driving, is the torque converter locking up?

see post #3 here ZF 5HP19 not locking up
Air filter was just changed and it was dirty so maybe after cleaning the MAS it will be better!

AT fluid was changed about three years ago along with the filter. Probably due for another change. I'll check to see what the RPMs are at 80 mph. Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I’ve done both those repairs…this is based off tons of research I did before I started…

Once the torque converter clutch stops locking up, it pretty much always needs to be replaced. Fluid/filter change is unlikely to change that. (Per research and discussion with Eriksson, a great ZF parts supplier).

For me, I had slamming on gear changes, particularly 3rd to 4th. The aftermarket pressure regulator piston fixed that for the most part, but I ended up getting the entire valve body kit and replacing all the internal parts. There’s very few internal soft (rubber) parts, but they’re critical to smooth operation of the transmission. My valve body bores looked and felt fine, but all the pistons 50s kid shows in the video were really sticky. After agood cleaning and adding the pressure regulator kit with its new spring and all orings replaced everything worked real smooth…still does!

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve done both those repairs…this is based off tons of research I did before I started…

Once the torque converter clutch stops locking up, it pretty much always needs to be replaced. Fluid/filter change is unlikely to change that. (Per research and discussionwith Ericcson, a great ZF parts supplier).

For me, I had slamming on gear changes, particularly 3rd to 4th. The aftermarket pressure regulator piston fixed that for the most part, but I ended up getting the entire valve body kit and replacing all the internal parts. There’s very few internal soft (rubber) parts, but they’re critical to smooth operation of the transmission. My valve body bores looked and felt fine, but all the pistons 50s kid shows in the video were really sticky. After agood cleaning and adding the pressure regulator kit with its new spring and all orings replaced everything worked real smooth…still does!
So the first step is replacing the pressure regulator and then the torque converter?

$36.25 - Ebay - Transgo ZF 5HP19 Transmission Upgraded Pressure Regulator BMW VW

$45.17 - Amazon - Transgo 5HP19PR Pressure Regulator Valve

The 50sKid recommended this company to get a rebuilt converter. I emailed them and they said it was $250 for my 330Ci. Comes with a 1 year warranty.

TorqueConverter1.com

RealOEM - Part Number 24407519535

·
Registered
279 Posts
So the first step is replacing the pressure regulator and then the torque converter?

$36.25 - Ebay - Transgo ZF 5HP19 Transmission Upgraded Pressure Regulator BMW VW

$45.17 - Amazon - Transgo 5HP19PR Pressure Regulator Valve

The 50sKid recommended this company to get a rebuilt converter. I emailed them and they said it was $250 for my 330Ci. Comes with a 1 year warranty.

TorqueConverter1.com

RealOEM - Part Number 24407519535
I don’t have an opinion on which I’d do first, unless I was having hard shifts (like I was) in which case I’d do the valve body work first.

The valve body is certainly easier to work on than replacing the torque converter ;)

Both at the same time could be ideal…If the transmission is out it’s easier to work on the valve body thanfrom under the car

I was recommended this shop for ZF transmission parts if you choose to dig into the other soft valve body parts. I also got my torque converter from them ($250 in September 2018). I highly recommend them…I dealt with Nat, don’t know if he’s still there…

1 - 8 of 8 Posts