BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my check engine light turned on.. it was yellow.. i took it to the dealer ship and it said it was fine so i kept driving on it and it went off for a while. few days ago, same thing happened and i dont know what causes this. same with the coolant light when everything seems to be fine, can the coolant somehow trigger the check engine light to come on? Thanks.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Did the dealership tell you why the engine light came on? They must have checked the code to tell you "it was fine." It might have been something as small as your gas cap not being tightened all the way.

As for coolant, that shouldn't trigger a check engine light itself. Some people report that the coolant light comes on during cold-start, but goes away after a while. This might be because the coolant expands after it gets hot. You should check the coolant level anyways. It's the cap on the driver's side front when you open up the hood. The red (or beige) "stick" should be floating out of the expansion tank. Make sure you check it only when your engine is cold (unpressurized).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts