E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to be hooking up my screen/dvd player/etc soon and im not sure if i should go with cheap plastic rca cables or more expsensive ones. Do they really make a difference?

·
Registered
7,626 Posts
gusdagoos said:
Im going to be hooking up my screen/dvd player/etc soon and im not sure if i should go with cheap plastic rca cables or more expsensive ones. Do they really make a difference?
Depends on your front end. If you have a good quality stereo system/amplifiers/speakers, then it will definitely make a difference (both audio & video). It does reach a point of diminishing returns once you start getting into the ultra high-end expensive stuff.

Personally, I use wires from Select Products for audio and video. Cost is reasonable and performance is top notch. I like to terminate my own wires, but you can buy pre-made wires from them (they sell both): www.selectproducts.com

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks ill check them out. Well im going to be using an fm modulator so the audio quality will probably get lessened from that.

·
Registered
7,626 Posts
gusdagoos said:
thanks ill check them out. Well im going to be using an fm modulator so the audio quality will probably get lessened from that.
If you are using a modulator, then don't spend a lot of money on RCAs (maybe not more than $20 per set). If you do have good quality screen(s), then maybe you might want to get good video cables though.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea your probably right. Im not even sure if i should use the fm modulator or try to find another way to hook it up to my stock headunit but i dont have the mode button.

·
Registered
237 Posts
gusdagoos said:
Im not even sure if i should use the fm modulator or try to find another way to hook it up to my stock headunit but i dont have the mode button.
Regarding cables in general, it's my humble opinion that expensive ones aren't worth the money. They're a questionable investment even for home systems, and the noise floor in a car is generally much higher than at home.

I'm not sure how you would hook it up without a mode button, but you have to think about what the weakest link in your system is - assuming you end up with an FM modulator, then without question that is your weakest link - you should focus your attention there. Perhaps you could pick up a used factory deck with the mode button.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,626 Posts
stewey said:
Regarding cables in general, it's my humble opinion that expensive ones aren't worth the money. They're a questionable investment even for home systems, and the noise floor in a car is generally much higher than at home.

I'm not sure how you would hook it up without a mode button, but you have to think about what the weakest link in your system is - assuming you end up with an FM modulator, then without question that is your weakest link - you should focus your attention there. Perhaps you could pick up a used factory deck with the mode button.

Good luck!
In most cases, it is true, but when you have a high-end system it does make a big difference in sound quality. I have done A/B testing with a set of $20 RCAs and a set of custom made silver conductor RCAs and the sound quality difference was night and day. On an FM modulator, it will not make a bit of difference, since the tuner limits high frequencies anyways.

For Video cables, in my wife's van, I connected a cheap video cable while I was waiting for good quality cables to be delivered. This was on a rear-view camera, which has a pretty low resolution to begin with. When I installed the expensive cable, the image was considerably better.

It really depend on the application you are using the cables for.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the information. im going to hook the system up and see how it works and then ill see from there.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts