E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 BMW e46 330ci Convertible
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just gifted an 05 330ci convertible from my grandparents and am looking to start upgrading it. Does anyone have any recommendations for mufflers or exhaust systems around or bellow $500. I don't want it to be too loud but I would really want to get some deep rumbling especially in the low rpms. Also, I'm open to any tips anyone has since this will be the first car I will modify and work on myself. I'm planing on wheels and coil overs, and doing some performance upgrades like intakes and filters and that sort of thing.

Anything is appreciated, Thank you!

·
Registered
'04 330Cic | '03 325iT
107 Posts
I did a custom magnaflow setup for “cheap.” The magnaflow 14385 is a resonated x-pipe that I put at the front section, straight pipe in the middle, and double mufflers at the rear (2 side by side magnaflow 10425s). My car started out straight piped when I bought it and would crackle and pop when you lifted the throttle on top of waking up the neighbors on a cold start. It sounds nearly the same, just at a more suitable decibel level and no crackles. Perfectly street-able - you can make it loud or make it quiet based on driving habits...

I made out under $350 with it installed if you don’t include me going overboard on fancy exhaust tips.

·
Registered
E46 '04 330Ci convertible 780 K km
1,544 Posts
Start your modification with proper servicing your engine, there are tons of info in general forum. e46 is very reliable car with great pedigree, but if you do not service it properly and postpone works, then you will inevitably face bitter consequences. Buy diagnostic tools How to Install BMW Standard Tools It is vital for proper diagnostics.
Absolute most of service works are simple and requires basic set of standard tools, and described in every detail. Do not hesitate ask people here, and it is better if you post on general E46 forum. Convertible forum is for everything related to soft top etc.
And buy front strut bar!

·
Registered
'04 330Cic | '03 325iT
107 Posts
Yeah, obviously don't put an exhaust on your car if you've not made sure it's up to date on maintenance first. I just assumed that was a given... That $500 exhaust is worth about $100 used (if that) if you break your car out of neglect in other areas. That same $500 can get you VERY solidly set up in terms of tools and basic services and maintenance if that's not already squared away.

I drove mine home 100 miles from the purchase location, so you'd think on some level it was "fine" for a while... I still had multiple thousands in repairs to complete before I touched any fun stuff. (I knew what I was getting into when I bought this specific care, so that wasn't a surprise.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.