E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background - On my new-to-me 2001 330cic, I show two SES codes - P0369 and P0344.

To determine the respective causes, I have done the following:

For CODE P0369, I checked the exhaust cam position sensor connector and cleaned it. I've cleared my codes a dozen times. Codes come back in 2 to 20 minutes of driving. The only difference I can see is that the engine runs just a little bit stronger and idles slower (600 RPM) with no SES light. When I get an SES light, it idles a little faster (800 RPM) and is ever so slightly less stout accelerating.

With the codes erased and the engine running, I disconnected the exhaust cam position sensor and immediately throw Code P0369

Is this sufficient evidence to suspect the exhaust CPS as the cause of Code 0369?

I have found differing opinions as to the cause of Code P0369. Some folks say change the exhaust CPS. Some say the vanos is to blame.

Opinions? Best source for the CPS and upgraded vanos seals?

For Code P0444, I removed and checked the Evap solenoid. At rest, you can't blow through it. With 12 volts to the terminals, the solenoid clicks once and you can blow through in either direction. I also checked in the trunk and engine compartment for cracked hoses. All look new and soft.

Any ideas?

Thanks...

Lotsobmws

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Replaced the Exhaust Cam Sensor...

Replaced the Exhaust Cam Position Sensor and cleared the codes. Drove around for 20 mins last night. No code yet. Time will tell if my P0369 code was due to an intermittently failing exhaust cam position sensor. On my e36 M3, I had a crank position sensor that only failed when it was hot. Replacing the CPS on the M3 cured all problems. Hoping a similar problem and solution will lead to a similar outcome here.

Still haven't figured out the P0444 code. While under the car this weekend to replace an axle, wheel bearing and hub, eyeballed the Evap system and hoses and didn't see anything amiss.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I had the P0444 come and go for a long time. I found a small crack in the air duct for the throttle body, the small elbow that goes to the ICV. After replacing that it has not come back. It was really hard to see while installed. They are pretty cheap, I would just replace it if you have not done so yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.