BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm trying to track down the source of a "pop" noise coming from my front suspension. The noise seems to occur during a few different instances. 1) while breaking at slow speeds. 2) traveling over bumps small or large. 3) As I put the car in to reverse and weight shifts. The pop noise isn't extremely loud, however, it is noticeable inside the car with the radio off. Turning the steering wheel makes no difference in the noise.

My suspension is not OEM. I'm sitting on KW V2 coils with new endlinks (which are tight) and FCAB.

My first guess is sway bar bushings or control arm ball joints...

I just wanted to ask if anyone else has had a similar experience with their front suspension popping and have tracked it down...

Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Same happens to mine but mines a little diffrent when ever I have it in drive and put it in reverse the front pops RIGHT when I tap the brakes same when I have it in reverse and put it in drive
HELP!!

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Hello,

I'm trying to track down the source of a "pop" noise coming from my front suspension. The noise seems to occur during a few different instances. 1) while breaking at slow speeds. 2) traveling over bumps small or large. 3) As I put the car in to reverse and weight shifts. The pop noise isn't extremely loud, however, it is noticeable inside the car with the radio off. Turning the steering wheel makes no difference in the noise.

My suspension is not OEM. I'm sitting on KW V2 coils with new endlinks (which are tight) and FCAB.

My first guess is sway bar bushings or control arm ball joints...

I just wanted to ask if anyone else has had a similar experience with their front suspension popping and have tracked it down...

Thanks!
Most likely those sway bar bushings. You could just re grease it but the parts not that expensive anyway. Mine we're poping too, never did anything about it because the rear was poping too, damn bushings everywhere.

·
Registered
26,439 Posts
Maybe if the sway bar bushing bracket isn't tight, but I'm not seeing how a failed bushing there would pop at all.

More likely the new endlinks you did, especially if they're a recent addition. I'd consider all the add-ons first, OP. Strut mounts, tie rod end, frankly any component could give a non-descript little popping. If you kept CAs and lowered the car, then perhaps a CA balljoint...finding itself in a new orientation now?

When you say the endlinks are tight, I'm not sure if you mean the nuts are tight or that you actually tested the balljoint directly. Try squeezing all the ball joints with monster sized channel lock pliers...grab and wiggle. My mech has channel locks that are probably 2' long! That's enough to get close to emulating the forces on the car when driving...and you can really tell exactly which ball joint might be gone that way...rather than just randomly replacing parts.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Maybe if the sway bar bushing bracket isn't tight, but I'm not seeing how a failed bushing there would pop at all.

More likely the new endlinks you did, especially if they're a recent addition. I'd consider all the add-ons first, OP. Strut mounts, tie rod end, frankly any component could give a non-descript little popping. If you kept CAs and lowered the car, then perhaps a CA balljoint...finding itself in a new orientation now?

When you say the endlinks are tight, I'm not sure if you mean the nuts are tight or that you actually tested the balljoint directly. Try squeezing all the ball joints with monster sized channel lock pliers...grab and wiggle. My mech has channel locks that are probably 2' long! That's enough to get close to emulating the forces on the car when driving...and you can really tell exactly which ball joint might be gone that way...rather than just randomly replacing parts.
I was leaning towards the links as well, but I took OPs word for tight.

My new links were crap after a few months. Depends on the quality of the link. Maybe that contributed to my pop orchestra.

·
Registered
26,439 Posts

My new links were crap after a few months. Depends on the quality of the link. Maybe that contributed to my pop orchestra.
I've learned that OPs are often incorrect (nothing personal, OP)!

I can't tell you how many times I've said 'battery' for instance, only to have an OP replace 5 parts because they know the battery is good because they have lights on in the car! I used to argue and persist...well, I still do...but now I'm changing my policy to just one suggestion for them to take or leave!

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

The KW coils came with new links. I'd not sure about the quality of them. But they were drivin to spec by a impact wrench and then rechecked by hand myself.

Thanks,

The reason I feel it might be the sway bushings is because the noise comes from either sides of underneath the front depending on how a bump is hit. I've had the coils on the car for a bit over a year and the noise started about 2 months ago. I hope its the sway bushings... they are a much easier fix than FCA would be...

I've learned that OPs are often incorrect (nothing personal, OP)!

I can't tell you how many times I've said 'battery' for instance, only to have an OP replace 5 parts because they know the battery is good because they have lights on in the car! I used to argue and persist...well, I still do...but now I'm changing my policy to just one suggestion for them to take or leave!
Understood!

Where's the battery? :rofl:

·
Registered
755 Posts
just un-hook the sway bar links and see if the noise stops :D hahaha

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
The sway bar in the bushing doesn't have anything to 'pop' on...again, unless the bracket is loose. If it's coming from the sides, suspect the end links first.
This baffled me as well. I had the poping noise and someone suggested to me on here that it could be the sway bar bushings. I wondered how that could cause such a noise where it's located. Istead of tearing up my suspension I left it. I guess maybe it makes the noise in the same way as rear bushings do?

just un-hook the sway bar links and see if the noise stops :D hahaha
That's a cheap way to check.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts