BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade the wheels on my '06 330ci vert from the 17" type 68's to the 18" type 67 wheels from an M3. It looks like the overall circumference of the wheel/tire package is about the same, but the offsets are different and the wheels are .5" wider. Do I need to add spacers, or can I bolt on as is. I don't have any experience with the different offsets.

Also, can I just transfer the TPMS sensors, or do I need new ones? Thx for your advice.

·
Registered
448 Posts
You're thinking backwards on how spacers work. Spacers would reduce your offset, not increase it.

Your style 68s are 17x7.5 ET41 and 17x8.5 ET50. Style 67s come in 18x8 ET47 and 18x9 ET26.

If you're only using the M3 fronts, then you're okay and don't need to space unless you want to. The rears might be too aggressive if you're going staggered. I wouldn't recommend using those unless you plan on stretching tire or pulling your fenders

You can reuse TMPS sensors if they're still in good shape. A lot of installers can do a quick rebuild of the gaskets and o-rings if they're a bit worn also. If you're still on the original TPMS from 2006, I would suggest replacing them out of preventative maintenance since replacing them after the fact isn't really a DIY if one of them goes faulty.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for the info. I'm thinking a good set of style 135's would work better. Now, I just need to find some.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are the TPMS sensors on the wheels, or is the system attached to the car? I'm changing out the wheels and heard that the system on the '06 E46 is an indirect system vs. a wheel based system. Help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx Gary. One more question on the spacers....If I switch from an ET 41 wheel to an ET 47 wheel and don't use a spacer, will i have a suspension issue? I can't seem to find 6mm spacers, so if I do use a spacer, I'd probably use a 5mm. Also would I need to change the bolts or studs? Thx again.

BTW, I'm a loyal Tire Rack customer. Love the service.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts