BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the front brake pads this weekend.

Sensor seemed fine so I kept the same one (had a little problem withthe clip but...)

The brake light is still on my dash.

Do I need to flash my computer to get it to reset (can this be done by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes?)

OR do I need to do my rear brakes and poossibly change the sensors?

·
Registered
93 Posts
did you changed ur brake AFTER you got the Brake Light indicator ? I believe its One time use. You shouldve just replaced it. Maybe you could go to AutoZone and use their scanner to clear the code and see if that goes away.

You can check if its the rear brake causing the light or not, just remove your wheel and see how much brake pad is left.

·
Registered
16,298 Posts
Did you replace the sensor as well with your brake pad change? If not then you will continue to have the light illuminated. You were supposed to replace it with a new "un-tripped" sensor and then reset the system after doing so by putting your key in the ignition and turning it to position 2 and letting the system clear the code.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts

Sensor seemed fine so I kept the same one (had a little problem withthe clip but...)

Do I need to flash my computer to get it to reset (can this be done by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes?)

Can't tell from here. You'll have to check to see if the right rear pad sensor has been worn.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I think you can short the wires to deactivate the sensor. This car certainly has a lot of idiot lights that cause more grief than any car I know.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
^+1 Just strip and twist the wires. Then turn the key on (don't start) and let it sit for a minute, the light should go out

·
Registered
4,029 Posts

How do you know it was your front brake sensor that made the light come on? It could have as well been the rear brakes, in which case, you'll need to change the rear brakes as well.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys.

I think Im going to replace the rear pads and both sensors.

This was my first brake job and I wanted to keep it small / simple.

I went front brakes because:
1) they do more work
2) I heard a slight metal on metal grinding from the front from the pads being so worn down.. which now that I think about it probably fried that sensor.

Thank again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts