BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Masterdebator
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When do you guys change your oil? The BMW dealership says I should change my SYNTHETIC oil every 15,000 miles.

·
Registered
425 Posts
heehee, did you just get the car? i hope its not your first oil change since its a 2001. The dealer says 15000 is ok. It should be, but im sure more then 80% of the people on this board change it at least every 5000. I change mine between 4 and 5k. Its just oil. It cant hurt. You drive a bimmer. Dont be cheap to it!!!:D

·
Masterdebator
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
naw, I've been changing the oil every 10,000. I'm gonna start changing the oil earlier though, thanks.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Remember it's the oil filter that lasts 15k miles not the oil!

Synthetic oil does not breakdown but the oil additives do burn off which also includes binding agents. By 5k miles depending on whether highway or city driving, you should have burned these additives off.

I'm changing my oil in-between service intervals and is also suggested in the owners manual. You should also change the filter EVERY TIME. It is the filter that BMW stated in a bulletin that lasts 15k miles.

Also 5W30 is rated to 90 degree temps! I also heard BMW changed the BMW synthetic from 5W30 to 5W40. The oil for above 90 degrees is I believe 15W40 which nobody makes. You can go to mobil 1's website and put your car in and it will tell you the oil ranges for your car. Some of the oils Mobil doesn't even sell. Personally I just ordered Mobil 1 0W40 (European formula) which is a premium oil through any oil manufacturer and through my research I think the best to use in the widest temperature range and with additional binding agents that regular oil doesn't have. It is also rated for use in BMW. The 0W40 oil is also hard to find and now standard in new Mercedes and Porsche. I bought online through a Mercedes parts and accessories dealer onsale for $4.95 per bottle! versus over $6.00 per bottle which I couldn't find any in my area anyway. They charged $4.50 shipping. Do a search on my name on 0w40 to see my original post with the web site.

l330if83 said:
naw, I've been changing the oil every 10,000. I'm gonna start changing the oil earlier though, thanks.

·
^_^
1,507 Posts
I changed my first at 2500 km, which is like... 1700 miles, after that, every 5000 miles. 15,000 miles oil change is just crap. I feel a BIG difference even changing oil after every 5000 miles.

·
Beware of pwner
1,767 Posts
That's weird

I always thought the oil for a 2000 323i, was supposed to be 5w30, but I logged into the owner's circle last night and it said that they recommend 5w40.

Did they change it? Which one should I use? :dunno:

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Did you see my post above...

I said that BMW used to recommend 5W30 but now they recommend 5W40. Realistically they used to recommened 15W40 but they removed it since it is not customer accessible in the US. This is why I'm going with 0W40 Mobil 1 synthetic. I think BMW screwed over US customer. The 5W40 has ambient operating temps (not engine temp) at or just above 90-95 degrees F. Well in the D.C. area, summer temps swell to over 100 at times.

Go look at the pics of Amir's engine and you'll see why we should be running 5W40 or better. Also I think Samir pulled a engine that had cylinder wear as well! This is scaring me that my engine will break after my warranty and BMW won't cover it because of their damn 15k mile policy and chosing the wrong oil for the region.

Your next service interval, you will automatically get 5W40 unless the dealer still has stock. There is more benefit to going 0W40 than it's temperature rating. Go check it out on Mobil 1's web site.

·
Beware of pwner
1,767 Posts
Thanks,

I'm off to buy oil, right now. Hopefully I can find some Mobil 1 in stock, or I'll just get it from the dealer.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Re: Remember it's the oil filter that lasts 15k miles not the oil!

I found the Mobil1 5W40 at Autozone in Severna Park, Md. Silver bottle called European formula I think. Perhaps it's 0W40, I'll have to check when I get home.
Change every 5000-7000 miles depending how lazy I am. :) No empirical evidence supporting this mileage but it feels good to me.
Dealer changed it once at the 15,000 mark.
Bought the filters online.

Kevin - where are you in Alexandria? I work near the Hoffman Buildings at Telegraph Rd.
I need a good (and inexpensive) installer for shock/struts/springs.
Any recommends? :)

KevinJ_2k1_325ci said:
Synthetic oil does not breakdown but the oil additives do burn off which also includes binding agents. By 5k miles depending on whether highway or city driving, you should have burned these additives off.

I'm changing my oil in-between service intervals and is also suggested in the owners manual. You should also change the filter EVERY TIME. It is the filter that BMW stated in a bulletin that lasts 15k miles.

Also 5W30 is rated to 90 degree temps! I also heard BMW changed the BMW synthetic from 5W30 to 5W40. The oil for above 90 degrees is I believe 15W40 which nobody makes. You can go to mobil 1's website and put your car in and it will tell you the oil ranges for your car. Some of the oils Mobil doesn't even sell. Personally I just ordered Mobil 1 0W40 (European formula) which is a premium oil through any oil manufacturer and through my research I think the best to use in the widest temperature range and with additional binding agents that regular oil doesn't have. It is also rated for use in BMW. The 0W40 oil is also hard to find and now standard in new Mercedes and Porsche. I bought online through a Mercedes parts and accessories dealer onsale for $4.95 per bottle! versus over $6.00 per bottle which I couldn't find any in my area anyway. They charged $4.50 shipping. Do a search on my name on 0w40 to see my original post with the web site.

·
Registered
369 Posts
these oil change posts, even myself made 2 heheh...
maybe put it up in faq or something

·
Registered
700 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Ok this is a stupid question, but its my first BMW. So here it is: When doing a oil change on a bimmer, you don't need to jack up the car? But instead you use that oil extractor thing to suck out the oil and just put in a new filter and filled with new oil ??

·
Registered
241 Posts
ok you guys sometimes seem to make things difficult. I would do whatever if you guys dont have warranty but for people with warranty should just change whenever the car says to change it. If anything ever goes wrong just take it back and they will fix it for free cause your covered and im sure bmw knows what they are doing with the oil changes because they dont want a bmw coming back to them thats messed up and they have to fix it cause its covered on there warranty.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts