E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

What did you use, and experiences?

• Scenario 1 (redline) > 10,000 miles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scenario 2 (redline) > 10,000 miles

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Scenario 3 (redline) > 10,000 miles

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Scenario A (Motul) > 10,000 miles

• Scenario B (Motul) > 10,000 miles

• Scenario C (Motul) > 10,000 miles

• Scenario 1 (redline) < 10,000 miles

• Scenario 2 (redline) < 10,000 miles

• Scenario 3 (redline) < 10,000 miles

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Scenario A (Motul) < 10,000 miles

• Scenario B (Motul) < 10,000 miles

• Scenario C (Motul) < 10,000 miles

• OEM

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • Other

Votes: 16 38.1%
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Apple Jews
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm debating on a few diff scenarios for what I should put in to my 5spd.
(mixes are 50/50 - 1qt each)

Scenario 1) Redline 75w90ns + MTL
Scenario 2) Redline MTL only (likely thicker than i would prefer)
Scenario 3) Redline D4-ATF + 75w140ns (what UUC recommends)

Scenario A) Motul 75w140 + ATF
Scenario B) Motul 75w90 + ATF (likely thinner than i would like)
Scenario C) Motul 75w90 only

Scenarios that I'm NOT going to choose:
Reasons are because of climate and temps, and also because i just don't feel like wasting money on OEM fluid.

1) OEM ($$$)
2) Redline D4-ATF only (too thin)
3) Motul ATF only (too thin)
4) Redline MT-90 in any mix (too thick, and defeated by 75w140ns + d4-atf mix)
5) Royalpurple anything (many reasons behind that, but mostly just to eliminate choices)

not looking for whats best or data sheets.. as I've read as many as i can find, and talked to so many people. I just wanna know who did what, and if they've liked it or not liked it. this is purely a user experience poll. I want your opinion on what you used and your experience with it.

The reason I'm debating is because I've heard of losing gears or ruining synchros (specifically with Redline brand, or something too thick..). :eek:
Mainly, I've heard of this from people in the northern states who use a thicker oil, and it gets too cold for them. I don't foresee that problem here, but I'm cautious because well.. i don't really wanna replace my transmission.

Here's what I've got:

• UUC lightweight flywheel that's quite noisy. (8lb aluminum)
  • Manual 5spd with 145k miles on OEM (original as far as i know) gear oil.
  • Hot climate (Florida)

:bow:

(edit)
I voted other because i just wanna see the poll results every time i load this page)

·
Apple Jews
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
mkay, so no one has changed their trans oil? :hmm:

·
Registered
517 Posts
I just changed mine when I did my clutch and light fly from UUC. So far it shifts like butter, no problems so far.
Used the recommended mix of D4-ATF and 75w-140.

·
Apple Jews
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
:thumbsup: I'm a Mobil 1 75W-90 kind of guy. I change my transmission fluid along with my differential fluids every 60,000 miles. Been doing it earnestly for over 11 years now. Just my two and a half cents worth...
:woot:

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
the OEM is a great fill and not that expensive.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I used Redline D4 ATF recently on my 330i which had around 62,000 miles. I thought it was smoother coming out of the shop but in reality it's just as crappy and sticky as it was with OEM. So, in my experience, the fluid change yielded no results.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,985 Posts
BD,

You got 140K on oe fluid.

I changed mine at 140K when I got car. First I did RL MTL...got worried after reading all the opinions about the mix ratios advanced with D4ATF

So, 5K miles or so later, used OE fluid...maybe 10K later.

I'd made real good friends with the parts guy at dealer...actually, he's a great guy and I wrote a letter to his management/owner of dealer (JMK) and he liked that and appreciated it as much as I do him.

Anyway...you've heard the story...have empty clean bottles...go in and ask for it...although they can sell the 5L bottle for like $120 (I know)...they can also just give it to you out of barrel...for even $40...for a 140K fluid...not too bad.

Think that Pentosin is claimed to be OE...but don't trust all these Internet guys...they're morons, you know! LOL

Doug

·
Registered
214 Posts
I put in Royal Purple about 12k miles ago. Smooth as silk.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
If in hot FLA. I'd do straight MTL. If its too thick after a few K, drain some out and mix with D4 as spritman recommends. I personally don't like ATF for a manual box because it just doesn't have the added beefiness of AW/EP adds that a dedicated crusher fluid does, but thats just me being anal. I would caution AGAINST any gear oil that is NOT specifically designed for a trans application. Too much sulphur and other adds that will attack the soft metals such as copper and brass in the bushings and synchros. They will turn your box into a slusher (not a good one) in no time.

I went back to OE after trying various stuff. Very consistant shifting and a good fit for my climate. Fortunately I have a ZF connection at the Spartanburg plant right up the street, but you can go with what Doug stated as well at most dealers.

·
Apple Jews
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
points taken, im gonna wait out a few more days to see if anyone else chimes in. gonna order 2 bottles of something this weekend.

any motul users yet?

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Your head seems to be in the same place as mine!
some facts as I see them:

Not that it matters but UUC steel flywheel/M5 clutch.
I've had OEM, D4 and now MTL even for the winter here in New England.
Ever thinner oils in the engine and tranny are USA CAFE related.
In extreme cold, I'm talking teens or single digits and below, there is some warm up required but then it's AOK!
I'm not a cry baby! I simply "deal with it". Kinda like I had to do with my Porsche transaxle with hypoid gear oil.
The limp stick at the fifth gear gate healed itself with MTL.
I can feel the cushioning effect of the MTL through the shift lever.
If I lived in FLA, I would be using at least MTL and would not hesitate to use MTL90.

Do you think that Turner Motorsports knows something about these cars?
"D4ATF is the BMW party line for OEm substitue. But I would use MTL!"

So, get some form of synthetic GL4 tranny lube in there and forgettaboutit!

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
i used royal purple atf at 90K from the original oil. the original oil came out pretty clean, drives great. no grinds no problems. my 2 cents.

·
Apple Jews
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ah yes, i dont think this is gear rattle. more than likely flywheel chatter from what people have listened and said.
its done it since day one, and only gets worse with heat. seems to die off when i get above 1krpm, but i haven't been able to get the dealer to raise my idle yet. :facepalm:

maybe we can do it with a GT1, we shall see.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts