E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And the first side took a little while since this was my first time doing BMW rear brakes, but all in all it was just like my Audi except for the fact that you have a drum e-brake and your wear sensors are different.

I got Brembo rotors and Porterfield R4-S pads, rotors were $40 each from www.pro-imports.com and I ordered the pads directly from Porterfield www.porterfield-brakes.com.

Anyway, the wear sensor on these cars is pathetic. That is the worst design I have seen in a while. VW/Audi has a nice connector that just snaps together, or you can cut it off and splice the wires together and not have to worry about the sensor anymore.

Since I ran the pads down too low, I broke into your wonderfully designed wear sensor, and from reading here this means that I need to replace the sensor? Now, my question is, why? The sensor isn't touching the rotor anymore, so why would it be triggering the light? Anyway, if I have to replace the sensor, how hard is that? I did not see anywhere for the wire to disconnect, so do I have to splice it and attach the new one or how does this work? Also, how expensive is it?

And for the time being, since I am about to take a 700 mile trip and I don't to look at that damn light for the whole time, is there a way to turn it off until I replace the sensor?

Thanks,

- Anthony

·
1,043 Posts
Why is it "our" sensor? You own a BMW so it is "your" sensor. :)

To answer your question, the sensor is no good once it is damaged and must be replaced as the electrical contact is worn off. They cost about $17 if I remember correctly. Follow the wire back to the subframe and there is a disconnect there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bbh03 said:
Why is it "our" sensor? You own a BMW so it is "your" sensor. :)

To answer your question, the sensor is no good once it is damaged and must be replaced as the electrical contact is worn off. They cost about $17 if I remember correctly. Follow the wire back to the subframe and there is a disconnect there.
Haha, I actually have an 03 Audi A4 3.0. The BMW is not mine. So it is YOUR sensor. :D

Is this to the front subframe? Or are you referring to the rear...?

Either way, thanks for the info, I'll go buy a sensor tomorrow.

- Anthony

·
1,043 Posts
adg44 said:
Haha, I actually have an 03 Audi A4 3.0. The BMW is not mine. So it is YOUR sensor. :D

Is this to the front subframe? Or are you referring to the rear...?

Either way, thanks for the info, I'll go buy a sensor tomorrow.

- Anthony
Hmm, says your ride is a 325 hehe... Anyway,

There is a sensor for the right rear and the front left (2 total) wheels. In both cases (not certain about the rear though) the plug should be in a little plastic case attached to the subframe and the wire runs from there to the brake pad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.