E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone ever tried to change the color of leather in the car with some kind of leather paint? I'm not talking about all the seats, I'm just thinking about the hand break and knob boot. Is it possible? or it's just simple undoable.:dunno:

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I know it's possible to dye leather if you have a lighter color but it's relatively hard to get a consistent color with it. Why not just buy a new handbrake and boot? They aren't too expensive.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My leather is beige and I wanted to make it black to match my new chrome knob and hand brake, so I thought it would be fun to pain it. So you saying there's no way to do it?

·
Track it
806 Posts
I think it would be really difficult to do that since the dye would probably blend with whatever paint you use to try and change the color....

Really not sure though....if you go through with it...let us know how it turns out...

·
SBBMotorwerks
416 Posts
try carcareonline.com....they have a product called surflex, which is basically the same thing that BMW uses to color their leather. The standard color is black....this might work for your small application

·
I got nothin'
283 Posts
Just get colored glasses.

·
Registered
11,056 Posts
i personally wouldn't do it, you would have to worry about it waring off.

·
Registered
11,056 Posts
and as for buying a new boot, they are expensive, i got one the other day and it cost me 70 dollars.

·
ILCUTAWOOTIE
3,143 Posts
hey doggy
do this
find a good car upholsterer...
tell him u want ur leather dyed
make sure he is reliable and is capable of doing a good job
tell him u want it black
and there u go...what ever u do, dont do it urself tho

if they cannot dye it black for you, tell them u want the leather replaced on it and u want the black leather.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lexie330ci said:
hey doggy
do this
find a good car upholsterer...
tell him u want ur leather dyed
make sure he is reliable and is capable of doing a good job
tell him u want it black
and there u go...what ever u do, dont do it urself tho

if they cannot dye it black for you, tell them u want the leather replaced on it and u want the black leather.
Never heard of car upholsterer, what is that?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts