BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im taking out the grey gauge faces and making them white. Im also, adding CF gauge trim but here's my problem. as you can see in the pic I have Chrome circle trim and the CF wont stick to the back of the cluster because the chrome trim has rounded edges that make it impossible to get around. Has anyone installed this before, If so how did you get around or take out the Chrome trim that is literally glued. what should I do?

...im kindof wishing i didnt have Chrome trim rightnow:banghead:

Should I try to maneuver the CF around the Chrome trim? that though just came to mind. My CF has the adhesive exposed so im hesitant on trying something at the moment.

...dont worry, im using rubber gloves to keep the finger prints out of there.

Attachments

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
damn, i just realized how sexy this is going to look!!! BOING

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
xavi330i said:
Someone once posted trimming the fiber to fit.

Hope you are good with a knife.
Yah, i just read about doing that... and then the dremel tool just looked over at me and said "you havent used my dusty ass in a year...sucka!"

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ttt

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
anyone? i think im going to cut the CF to fit around the chrome trim. ill post pics of the whole thing later.... if all works out (crossing fingers) :)

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,819 Posts
If you had Chrome rings, then you could take them out and re-install. You however have Silver rings. I had that CF trim for like one day. Took it out.
Pretty sure you are going to have to trim it to fit with those pre-existing speedo rings.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I just popped out the rings using an exacto knife to cut the glue...being very careful to not break/scratch them...applied the cf trim, and then reglued the rings back in. If you're not a patient person you might have better luck trimming the piece around the rings. That stuffs not easy to cut precisely. So you better have some sharp exacto blades handy.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ill go get an exacto. i tested a dremel tool and it works really well at shaving the CF trim. thanks for the tips guys. i should have pics up before the night hits!
-Z

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,819 Posts
i'd just make sure to not get any glue fumes (if you take those rings out) inside the plexi cluster face. also, make sure the rings sit all the way down(not sandwiched between the overlay). if sandwiched, the ring will not sit flush against the gauge face and have a gap. the rings look much better with no black showing(inside gap)and a nice flush fit.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thx

1 - 12 of 12 Posts