E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have an 2000 323i e46 convertible, I have a problem with my central locking which mainly happens when it's cold. The car always locks fine but it's when I try to open it is when I'm having problems, the key fob seems to be working fine as when hold the down the open button on the fob the roof opens fine with any problems but the doors are still locked. Please help!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
When it's locked, if you turn the key in the keyhole does it unlock all the doors?

I had a problem in the past whereby turning the key would unlock the driver side door but the passenger side door remained deadlocked. In my case, it turned out to be the gm5 needed some relays replaced.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I didn't replace the relays myself, but sent the module off to a guy who did the dirty work for me. He must have done a good job as this was several years ago and not had any problems with the central locking since.

The gm5 module is located behind the glove box. You'll need to remove that to get to the module. A Google search or perhaps a search on the e46fanatics forums should lead you to detailed instructions with pictures on how to remove the gm5.

I generally advise that problematic gm5's are repaired, as opposed to replaced, to avoid having to do any coding.

Note also that the gm5, in addition to the central locking, also controls other things such as the electric windows and convertible top and for this reason is coded specifically to your vehicle type.

So, for example, if you were to buy one off eBay (not recommended) taken from a saloon with a sunroof you'll probably encounter problems retracting the roof on your vert. You would also probably find that the electric window buttons won't work as you might expect.

To avoid these problems, I recommend that your problematic gm5 be repaired.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Where to send/take the module depends on your location.

What's your location?

I'm based int UK so sent it to a guy here who I'd happily recommend if your based here too.

If you're based in the US or somewhere else, then probably makes more sense to find someone local to you.

If you let us know your location, I'm sure someone on here will be able to make a recommendation.

The gm5 problem is very well known with an easy fix and relatively cheap to resolve. I paid about £60, but that was a few years back.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Contact Colin, here is his website:
http://caautoelec.co.uk/

In the Contact section you'll find his email and telephone number.
The website also has a GM5-REMOVAL section with the pictures
and instructions I mentioned earlier.

I suggest you contact him first before sending anything his way.
He'll probably run through a checklist to ensure it's definitely the gm5 first.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi all I've had the gm5 central locking relays replaced and its all working fine now thanks for your help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts