BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people,

I'm thinking about replacing standard e46 radio with LCD (whatever is the proper part name and whoever is the manufacturer?), the one that includes stereo, aircon controls, tv, media player, you know what I mean.

Now, the only thing that keeps me off (apart from a little steep price) is the fact that on all the pictures I've seen the screen is largely blue :hmm:. Isn't it like a fist in the eye with all the leds and screens in bmw being :censor: red ??

Experienced users, is there the option for changing the skin or background of lcd interface so that it can be red like the rest of inside electronics?

Second, the media player. I heard that media player (video formats) doesn't work while driving. Is there a possibility to override this? I'm well aware of security reasons for this, so don't try to enlighten me in this department :shhh:

Many thanks!

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Hey people,

I'm thinking about replacing standard e46 radio with LCD (whatever is the proper part name and whoever is the manufacturer?), the one that includes stereo, aircon controls, tv, media player, you know what I mean.

Now, the only thing that keeps me off (apart from a little steep price) is the fact that on all the pictures I've seen the screen is largely blue :hmm:. Isn't it like a fist in the eye with all the leds and screens in bmw being :censor: red ??

Experienced users, is there the option for changing the skin or background of lcd interface so that it can be red like the rest of inside electronics?

Second, the media player. I heard that media player (video formats) doesn't work while driving. Is there a possibility to override this? I'm well aware of security reasons for this, so don't try to enlighten me in this department :shhh:

Many thanks!
I think we need a bit more info on exactly what unit your talking about. There's heaps of aftermarket hu's out there, so a bit more info and we'll be able to comment better.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Hey people,

I think there's no product that integrates radio, etc. with A/C controls. You'll need to keep you AC control unit, even if you have to move it down- in place of the eyeglass compartment.

I've been reading mixed opinions on Dynavin. Do your research well before taking the leap.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
yes u can change the color of it to red and other colours, and u will need a video in motion cable, im not sure where to get that from

trust me the blue looks better than the red during the day, i have it set to go from blue in daylight to red at night for easy reading

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Exactly, the 7 inches (or something like that) screen with nav, tv, phone controls... isn't there oem part as well? Is it any better than dynavin? To be honest, I'd go for any part that can has predominantly red skin or background so that it fits nicely with bmw's interior at night :)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot people, this info is very useful. Yes, I was probably misinformed about aircon. It's interesting to hear blue skin could look even better. During the day it's basically the same, only the night is an issue.

·
Registered
80 Posts
on a dynavin you can enable the Mobile video function by connecting the handbrake cable to a grounding point i believe (that way it works at the pioneer HU)

The original screen is de MK3 or MK4 navi from BMW, you will need the computer and the DVD player (for loading maps) and offcourse a screen, and a day build and cable everything and the price is higher as a dynavin (at least here in europe)

·
Registered
2001 E46 330i Sedan
349 Posts
Are you talking about OEM monitor? If yes, there is option where you can change the color (between blue and amber) you can also select an option for the color to change to amber when you switch on the light.

About the TV, few ways you can disable it and watch tv/video while in motion - you can use navcoder, pasoft scanner or buy aftermarket interface "tv in motion".

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
u could always change all the LEDs inside the bmw to match it lol
:rofl: Zen solution. That would work great on that blue cycle of yours, just don't forget to enable video in motion feature, at 200 km/h you don't see much of the road anyway, hehe :thumbup:

Great info just keeps cropping up. Respect to all contributors. :bow:

·
Registered
683 Posts
:rofl: Zen solution. That would work great on that blue cycle of yours, just don't forget to enable video in motion feature, at 200 km/h you don't see much of the road anyway, hehe :thumbup:

Great info just keeps cropping up. Respect to all contributors. :bow:
View attachment 378869

View attachment 378868

i changed it up a bit.. not really sure what color to go with on the cluster anymore so i think ill keep the stock red... ?

edit: wow i have no idea how they ended up upside down.. but lol.. yea

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Must admit I liked that blue lightning version up there much better. But if chicks are happy... though beware - they're much more concerned about color than what's under da hood :)
I'm obviously not authority for signatures, look at mine, looks like a piece of pigeon poop. How the hell people manage to have big picture signatures :hmm:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts