BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 325i with a black vinyl center armrest.
Is it difficult to replace it with a black leather version?
IOW, is the actua armrest itself easily removeable without too much hassle?

Pacific BMW sells the leather armrest for very good price along with the leather ebrake boot and leather ebrake handle.

Thanks for anyones help.
If there is a page with picts, please let me know.

TT

·
www.piratecove.org
3,706 Posts
i've taken it apart before to clean various parts of it before.

once you start taking it apart its not too hard to get apart. you shouldnt have that hard of a time replacing it with a leather one...i was actually contemplating this myself :)

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found a DIY but it seemed like it was for retrofitting the whole center armrest to a center cosole that didn't have an armrest before. I guess I can use some of the info.

Thanks for the tip. Once I do it maybe I'll write up how I did it for others to use.

TT

·
Chapstick!
400 Posts
how different are the leather and vinyl armrests?
because I have leather, and it's nothing much...
it barely has any "grain" showing, as it appears to be stretched tight.
has a nice smooth look to it.

it's not exactly a plush leather, with cushy padding, unlike some armrests...
but its' still soft.

·
Registered
271 Posts
That explains why when I had the whole interior of my car shampoo'd and detailed the center armrest did not get cleaned but actually faded to a really dull grey. My interior is grey and i'll have to look into replacing it too.

·
Is NOT A Mechanic
5,738 Posts
It's not so bad - I did the no armrest to armrest retrofit.

Remove the rear ash tray, remove the visible screws, snap off the plastic surround that goes over the ash tray and around the armrest hinge. Remove the shift boot, remove the 2 screws at the front of the center console. Remove the ebrake boot from the console. Gently lift the console over the armrest - once there is clearance, unplug the hazard/unlock button wiring harness. Remove the console. There are 3 bolts securing the base of the armrest to the body of the car. Remove these, remove the armrest. Re-assemble in reverse...

I re-upholstered the used armrest I bought from bluecougar with ultrasuede...

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I have a black leather armrest + console which I am planning to sell if the price is good. PM me with an offer if anyone is interested. Used for about 1.5 years. Leather in pristine condition.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm selling a black leather ARMREST only. Including armrest storage compartment. $50

1 - 10 of 10 Posts